Roaster Spaghetti Sauce (as in using your ROASTER to cook the maters!)

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I have been meaning to type this up and never seem to have time. I am waiting on a big ole' fax to go through so I am going to try and whip this out. This is the recipe Abi and I used to make the sauce we canned a few weeks ago.

You will need a roaster. The roaster is your main measuring device. Without an electric roaster, you get to guess :D
This also uses a stick blender with a chopper blade and fresh herbs instead of dried. Adaptations to available ingredients and equipment may be required.

1) Fill a roaster to the top with fresh or frozen skinned tomatoes or a combination of the two.
2) Squish the tomatoes with your hands to make it easier for the tomatoes to cook down.
3) Cook the tomatoes on 275 degrees overnight UNCOVERED. You can cover the top with a piece of metal screen if you are worried about bugs getting in to your sauce.
4) The tomatoes should cook down until the roaster is only half way full. If it needs more time, let it go until you have a half-full roaster.
5) Use a stick blender to chop everything up and make your sauce nice and smooth.
6) Add 1 - 2 cans of organic tomato paste to make the sauce thicker. If your tomatoes are really meaty, you might not need to add any, but have the cans ready just in case.
7) Add 1/4 cup raw apple cider vinegar and stir, then salt to taste.
8) Let it continue to cook a bit as you caramelize 4 large sweet onions. Once onions are cooked, add to sauce.
9) Get your canning jars ready. No, I did not forget about other herbs and spices, but that will be the last thing you do before canning. So trust me, just get your jars ready.
10) NOW you can add fresh chopped basil, oregano, rosemary, minced garlic, etc... Sorry, we didn't measure. Just grabbed handfuls of whatever was ready from the garden. Several hand fulls of basil and oregano if I remember correctly and just a little rosemary and a few sprigs of thyme.
11) Immediately put in the jars and water bath can after mixing in the herbs. Prolonged cooking of the fresh herbs can make them bitter so you don't want them simmering for a long time. They are fine through the heat of canning.

Abi and I liked the way this turned out and it worked well with our free form cooking style. If you want to get all fancy, add a cup of red wine or two. It's nom :D

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Darn chicken owners. All that coop dust rotting your brains.... :gig