Rocket Stove And Cast Iron Wok

R2D2

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I relize that their is a thread going right now concerning cast iron cooking.I don't want to hijack the thread talking about a rocket stove and cast iron wok, so....Has anyone cooked with a cast iron wok, or perhaps another type wok on a rocket stove..? I'm looking to cook a fast, tastey meal on the cheap.This will be part of my SHTF cooking program..Woks cook fast, and rocket stoves are hot and cheap to run...Just not sure what would be the best wok to use.I'm looking at the Lodge 14" cast iron wok. Maybe another type wok would be better suited..?, but i favor cast iron...

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
you absolutely can go cast iron.

here is some info I found:

A wok is a pan with a rounded bottom that's commonly used when frying and steaming Asian foods. Two of the most common materials for woks are cast iron and carbon steel, both of which are adequate to the task, but each has unique properties.

Color
Carbon steel woks tend to be light gray in color, unless they're specifically treated to be black. Cast iron woks are naturally black.

Weight
Carbon steel woks are lighter in weight than cast iron woks. The bigger the wok is, the more noticeable this difference in weight becomes.

Protection
Carbon steel woks need very little maintenance beyond being washed and dried. Cast iron woks usually come with a protective coating that should be monitored because if the coating comes off, the wok may rust.

Texture
Carbon steel woks are smooth to the touch. Cast iron woks tend to be rougher, and more porous.

Performance
Whether a wok is made from carbon steel or cast iron offers no intrinsic benefits to the cooking process. Both will work, though different materials may be better suited to certain types of cooking.

-----
I think woks are wonderful for a one meal prep. Good idea to have a wok handy in the pantry! :)

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
(just as an fyi from personal experience: carbon steel woks also rust unless kept oiled ;))

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Are you concerned about the durability of the pan in direct flame?

My office mate tells me that a stove-top in rural China was a brick structure with a hole in it. There's fire in the brick sove, and the wok fits in the round hold in the brickwork. The fire was right under the wok, so I think it would be fine if you use a rocket stove.

Also, I know of someone who 'cleans' his cast-iron pan by putting it into a wood-burning stove. Right in the flames. He takes it out days or weeks later. I'm not suggesting that you do this, but it's an anecdote that leads me to believe that cast iron is pretty tough and should be able to handle the direct heat from the rocket stove.

I am speculating, but I think cast iron (super-high carbon steel) technology came first, so I'd go with a cast-iron wok if the aim is to be authentic or traditional. IMHO.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
and a cast iron wok can be used as a weapon ;)

it'll hurt a person big time if swung with force :p

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
k15n1 said:
Are you concerned about the durability of the pan in direct flame?

My office mate tells me that a stove-top in rural China was a brick structure with a hole in it. There's fire in the brick sove, and the wok fits in the round hold in the brickwork. The fire was right under the wok, so I think it would be fine if you use a rocket stove.

Also, I know of someone who 'cleans' his cast-iron pan by putting it into a wood-burning stove. Right in the flames. He takes it out days or weeks later. I'm not suggesting that you do this, but it's an anecdote that leads me to believe that cast iron is pretty tough and should be able to handle the direct heat from the rocket stove.

I am speculating, but I think cast iron (super-high carbon steel) technology came first, so I'd go with a cast-iron wok if the aim is to be authentic or traditional. IMHO.
Sorry but cast iron is NOT high carbon steel. cast iron is iron that is melted and poured into molds High carbon steel is usually forged or rolled. Cast iron can be shattered with a hammer blow that will only dent high carbon steel. There is no flex in cast iron and it has grains that you can see with the naked eye steel grain is much finer.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
~gd said:
Sorry but cast iron is NOT high carbon steel. cast iron is iron that is melted and poured into molds High carbon steel is usually forged or rolled. Cast iron can be shattered with a hammer blow that will only dent high carbon steel. There is no flex in cast iron and it has grains that you can see with the naked eye steel grain is much finer.
This.

Iron is often cast in sand molds, and nowadays it is not polished as well as it was in the past--thus why modern cast iron cookware (Lodge et al) has a rougher surface than older pieces.

Additionally, the best knives are made of carbon steel, as were swords back in the day (and now, for those who still practice the art).

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
moolie said:
~gd said:
This.

Iron is often cast in sand molds, and nowadays it is not polished as well as it was in the past--thus why modern cast iron cookware (Lodge et al) has a rougher surface than older pieces.

Additionally, the best knives are made of carbon steel, as were swords back in the day (and now, for those who still practice the art).
Pig iron and cast iron are super-duper high carbon---up to 4 % by weight. "Hight carbon" steel is around 0.590 %.

Gray vs. white cast iron have different properties. One of them is terribly brittle. The gray, incidently, is caused by bits of graphite.

High-carbon steel makes the best edge, but the best edge isn't necessarily the best knife. For my straight razon, the edge is very important, and accordingly, it's made out of high-carbon steel. My kitchen knives (which I keep very sharp) are a stainless alloy, which doesn't take as fine of an edge, but is better suited to MY kitchen because it won't rust, etc.

Edit: 1095 high carbon steel is 0.95%, not whatever I wrote up there.

R2D2

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your replies, Wow, FC you really do your homework...lol...but i don't plan on using the cast iron wok as a weapon...! lol K15n1, good point about the cooking vessela durabilty in direct flames.Seems both woks discussed here would do well in direct flames if of decent quality.I think i'll go with the Lodge cast iron wok, even if the surface may be a bit rough.Is their a better, smoother cast iron wok out there.? My google search only turned up the Lodge wok,and i won't buy a Chinese made one for a few reason, that i won't get into here and now.When i get it all together i'll post my results.I just thought that in a SHTF situation, or just for ecomony cooking, that the right wok and rocket stove could be a very good thing.