Crafter
Reaction score
I wonder if SO would think I really lost it if I built myself one. :p

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
valmom said:
I wonder if SO would think I really lost it if I built myself one. :p
Depends on how you present it to him. Call it a "personal grilling/BBQ device" and he will start looking for the right tools to use with it!

country freedom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
Nope ! I made mine of red bricks and the half thick pavers for the corners. See my first post above. And here's a picture of the stove I made, this time on a cement block stand that brought it up to a level so I don't have to sit on the ground.

As you maybe can see, you will need two corners with half a brick. They are hard to break or cut, so I used two layers of the half thick pavers so they were easier to break, as I described above.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/Ldychef2k/Picture102.jpg

big brown horse said:
Do they sell adobe bricks at say Lowes?

Do they really have to be adobe bricks?

WAY COOL!!!!!

(I have a tortillia press like that! You can buy them at the grocery stores in Houston easy...I believe they are cast iron b/c mine is soo heavy.)
That's quite doable.

soulmatenlove

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We are planning on building a rocket stove to go into our cob studio. We have all the materials... hopefully. We have a few bags of perlite to insulate the heat riser, I just hope it's enough. I read, or saw somewhere about keeping a tea kettle warm, but never anything about cooking on it. It's great to hear that may be a possibility. We're anxious to move into our little cob cottage and try out the stove this winter, considering we live in Northern Ontario.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I was happy to see this thread revived! Maybe some people will post their results.

I haven't made either the rocket stove or the rocket mass heater, but like you, have most of the supplies. One day.... If you don't have enough perlite, didn't the book or one of the videos say that you could use wood ash? My book is in a box somewhere or I'd go check that out.

I was under the assumption that the barrel got pretty stinking hot with the initial burn. Even with some cool down later, I bet you could cook a pot of soup easily - think slow cooker recipes.

Paul? Anyone?

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Rocket stoves are a great way to use all the sticks, twigs, and branches that fall into the yard each year. It's free fuel.

We use one almost every year to process the maple water into syrup. I don't have a picture of it right now but I will try to get some pix soon. My camera was dropped into our pond (oh those wonderful grand children).

When I was growing up my job all summer was to collect the sticks in the yard and keep them dry in a bin in the barn. It was also a great place to attract blacksnakes for a young lad. My dad built a rocket stove into a steep hillside we had. It was built out of concrete drain pipe and, if I remember correctly, the "smoke stack" was in the ground and ran up the side of the hill about 6 ft. to a kind of portable stove-like thing with a cast iron grid on top to set the pots and pans or kettles on top like a kitchen range. The top of the pipe could be fitted with a concrete elbow into our smokehouse. The firebox was also convertible where he could build a small fire with sticks like a typical rocket stove, or he could set it up with a smoldering hickory fire for smoking in the smokehouse.

I have attached a few pix of a rocket stove that my grandson and I built this past spring for his boyscout project. It really works good. In one view you can see the firebox part with the horizontal partition where you put the sticks on top of the partition and the air enters under the partition. Inside the two steel cans is a 4" diameter stovepipe elbow and short "stack" up to the top (actually the bottom) of the top can. The hole you see in the side of the top can is an access port to pour the ash in for insulation. Vermiculite or Perilite would be much better as the ash gets heavy and settles so much that you must re-fill it every time you use the stove. We also have a grid for the top of the stove to place the skillet or pot on top. I can't find it right now. We have a steel cover for the access port and steel clips to hold the two cans together. When we get it fired up good and hot the flame can sometimes shoot 12" out of the top. And they really do sound like a rocket.

I suggest that you build one of these small stoves to go to school on before you get into a major building project.

1505_2011-10-06.jpg

paul wheaton

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Marianne said:
I was under the assumption that the barrel got pretty stinking hot with the initial burn. Even with some cool down later, I bet you could cook a pot of soup easily - think slow cooker recipes.

Paul? Anyone?
People will move the outer barrel up or down to get the surface hotter or cooler (cooler means more heat goes into the room/mass).

As for slow cooker, that won't work well because most days you're gonna have one burn per day. But haybox cooking works really well. Look at this drawing I made for more cooking ideas:

http://www.permies.com/bb/index.php?topic=1746.msg12825#msg12825