rodeogirl's journey to being self-sufficient

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Congrat's to Ron. His first ever, or just for the year? That will be tasty meat in the freezer. I found the perfect meatloaf recipe for venison if you are interested. It has ketchup in the meatloaf and is topped with a brownsugar/mustard sauce and baked.

rodeogirl

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So Ron brought some of the meat home and because he knows me so well he saved the heart and liver for me.

rodeogirl

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Congrat's to Ron. His first ever, or just for the year? That will be tasty meat in the freezer. I found the perfect meatloaf recipe for venison if you are interested. It has ketchup in the meatloaf and is topped with a brownsugar/mustard sauce and baked.
His first ever and that recipe sounds good.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Venison Burgers
Ingredients:
3 slice bacon
1 lb venison ground
1 potato cooked, peeled, finely chopped
1/2 onion grilled and chopped
1/2 head garlic carmalized
1 egg
2 tbsp chives
1/2 tsp thyme
1 pinch nutmeg
1 tsp hot pepper sauce
Mix ingredients together and form into patties. great grilled or fried in a pan with oil.

You may notice in the next recipe that the tomato sauce is in the meatloaf instead of ketchup on the outside. That keeps it very moist. The sauce on top is mustard based and is a really good accent.

Venison Meatloaf
Ingredients:

2 eggs slightly beaten
8 oz tomato sauce
1 medium onion chopped
1 1/2 lb ground venison
1 c dried bread crumbs
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
TOPPING
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp brown mustard - course ground is best
2 tbsp cider vinegar

Directions:
Mix egg, tomato sauce, onion and venison. Add bread crumbs, salt and pepper. Mix well.
Place in bread pan.
Mix topping ingredients, stir till brown sugar is dissolved. Pour on top of meatloaf.
Bake 350° for 60 minutes.

**Since there are only 2 of us in the house, I make mini individual sized meatloafs - about 5-6 oz each. I divide the mix into 8 portions, and form into a “football” shape by packing loosely by tossing between my hands. Place on a cookie sheet with a piece of parchment paper on it. Put a couple spoonfulls of topping on each one and bake for about 20 minutes, Adding more of the topping about ½ way through.

**When I make it as a single loaf, I line my pan with a wide strip of aluminum foil sprayed with oil, as wide as the long dimention of the pan and that hangs over the edge of the pan. This allows me to lift the meatloaf out of the pan and then I can peel the foil off and put it on a plate to serve.

rodeogirl

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Venison Burgers
Ingredients:
3 slice bacon
1 lb venison ground
1 potato cooked, peeled, finely chopped
1/2 onion grilled and chopped
1/2 head garlic carmalized
1 egg
2 tbsp chives
1/2 tsp thyme
1 pinch nutmeg
1 tsp hot pepper sauce
Mix ingredients together and form into patties. great grilled or fried in a pan with oil.

You may notice in the next recipe that the tomato sauce is in the meatloaf instead of ketchup on the outside. That keeps it very moist. The sauce on top is mustard based and is a really good accent.

Venison Meatloaf
Ingredients:

2 eggs slightly beaten
8 oz tomato sauce
1 medium onion chopped
1 1/2 lb ground venison
1 c dried bread crumbs
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
TOPPING
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp brown mustard - course ground is best
2 tbsp cider vinegar

Directions:
Mix egg, tomato sauce, onion and venison. Add bread crumbs, salt and pepper. Mix well.
Place in bread pan.
Mix topping ingredients, stir till brown sugar is dissolved. Pour on top of meatloaf.
Bake 350° for 60 minutes.

**Since there are only 2 of us in the house, I make mini individual sized meatloafs - about 5-6 oz each. I divide the mix into 8 portions, and form into a “football” shape by packing loosely by tossing between my hands. Place on a cookie sheet with a piece of parchment paper on it. Put a couple spoonfulls of topping on each one and bake for about 20 minutes, Adding more of the topping about ½ way through.

**When I make it as a single loaf, I line my pan with a wide strip of aluminum foil sprayed with oil, as wide as the long dimention of the pan and that hangs over the edge of the pan. This allows me to lift the meatloaf out of the pan and then I can peel the foil off and put it on a plate to serve.
I'll have to try those recipes. Ron loves meat loaf and I'm just starting it like it again. (My moms meat loaf growing up wasn't the best and we had it every week so I learned to hate it.)

The joy of pumping. At night I pump when my little girl wakes up well last night I passed out when I got get back to sleep the first time she woke up. Then apparently I slept through the second time and Ron didn't think to wake me up so I could pump. By the time I woke up this morning it had been 9 hours since the last time I pumped. Talk about pain.

rodeogirl

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So Ron got disney plus. Its nice to see movies I haven't seen in years and ones they don't play on tv.

rodeogirl

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We have a small tree we are going to put up and I think the little man and I are going to make paper snowflakes. Although there is a chance we will be movied before Christmas so if that happens I'll get to put up the big tree.