rodeogirl's journey to being self-sufficient

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
When my DS4 was a baby he wouldn't sleep at night, and keeping him up during the day didn't help him sleep at all either.

Those was an exhausting, miserable year and a half. :( I hope you get a break sooner. Sometimes disrupting all household patterns can help. Eventually I gave up. There were some incidences of him doing things like drinking maple syrup out of a cup in the middle of the night. I was just too sleep deprived to be able to function. But by giving myself a break and sleeping even if he didn't, I was able to function and eventually conquer bedtime. But DH messes up bedtime routine regularly and now DS4 believes he isn't able to sleep alone. :he

Do you have any help so you can take a nap during the day? Contact the county to try to connect with any 4H kids doing child development project?? Know any trusted adults, maybe from a church or other social group? homeschool families? Social support is something we have to create for ourselves.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
can you do a sling and go for a walk to help burn off your own frustration and perhaps to give the urchin a change of scenery and environment? just thinking out loud here. :)

rodeogirl

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
When my DS4 was a baby he wouldn't sleep at night, and keeping him up during the day didn't help him sleep at all either.

Those was an exhausting, miserable year and a half. :( I hope you get a break sooner. Sometimes disrupting all household patterns can help. Eventually I gave up. There were some incidences of him doing things like drinking maple syrup out of a cup in the middle of the night. I was just too sleep deprived to be able to function. But by giving myself a break and sleeping even if he didn't, I was able to function and eventually conquer bedtime. But DH messes up bedtime routine regularly and now DS4 believes he isn't able to sleep alone. :he

Do you have any help so you can take a nap during the day? Contact the county to try to connect with any 4H kids doing child development project?? Know any trusted adults, maybe from a church or other social group? homeschool families? Social support is something we have to create for ourselves.

At least Ron only works the graveyard shift once a month so at least its not every night. I also have a lot of friends and family that are fighting to watch her so it's easy to find some one. The rest of the month she douse good and now that Ron is on days for the next two weeks its easier.

can you do a sling and go for a walk to help burn off your own frustration and perhaps to give the urchin a change of scenery and environment? just thinking out loud here. :)

I normally do but we have been getting snow like crazy for the last week and its been relay cold but when it warms up I will start again.

rodeogirl

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm thinking about planting potatoes this year but I want to plant them in a container so I don't have to worry about not getting them all out of the ground. I just need to find the best container to plant them in I was thinking a 5 gallon bucket but i don't know if it would be big enough. Have any of you tried to grow potatoes in containers and if so how did it go.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have grown them in a big 30 gallon tub - but not a 5 gallon bucket. I've heard of potatoes being grown in a pile of hay and/or leaves. I found an article about growing them in a hay bale: http://www.mainegardenideas.com/how-to-grow-potatoes-in-hay-bales.html

This article shows growing them in a pile of hay:

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
When I lived near Cheyenne, I grew my potatoes in a 18" diameter x18" tall bag that I made out of landscape fabric. I ended up wrapping it with leftover fencing and plastic to keep it from drying out too fast and keep the wind from twisting the top growth off, but it worked great. I put 3 seed potatoes in the bag and used a gallon milk just with 3 nail holes in the bottom to water it. Just place the milk just in the center and fill it each morning. The water drains out of the jug slow enough that it adsorbs in to the soil in the bag instead of just running out the bottom. I dumped the bag into the bucket of the tractor and sifted through with my hands to find the potatoes. Soil then went into a garbage can to be stored until the next spring.

rodeogirl

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
When I lived near Cheyenne, I grew my potatoes in a 18" diameter x18" tall bag that I made out of landscape fabric. I ended up wrapping it with leftover fencing and plastic to keep it from drying out too fast and keep the wind from twisting the top growth off, but it worked great. I put 3 seed potatoes in the bag and used a gallon milk just with 3 nail holes in the bottom to water it. Just place the milk just in the center and fill it each morning. The water drains out of the jug slow enough that it adsorbs in to the soil in the bag instead of just running out the bottom. I dumped the bag into the bucket of the tractor and sifted through with my hands to find the potatoes. Soil then went into a garbage can to be stored until the next spring.
I never thought of that and I have a roll of landscape fabric in my shed from a project a couple years ago.

rodeogirl

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My poor little angel got her booster shots today. With this round of shots she gets tired but she dousent want to sleep. So here she is most of the day a cranky little girl that just wants to play and be held. But her big brother was a little gentleman when she was getting her shot he wanted to hold her hand so she wouldn't be scared.