rodeogirl's journey to being self-sufficient

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
For raised beds when I was in Wyoming, I used a mix of 1/2 bag mushroom compost, 1 bag cow manure compost, 3 bags topsoil, and 1 bag of peat moss. That mix seemed to hold moisture pretty well, didn't compact hard and crack when it did dry out, and wasn't too high in nutrients. And didn't blow away too badly. Too much cow manure will add too much salts to the mix and too much nitrogen which would make the plants grow big and green and leafy but nott produce as much fruit and veg.

rodeogirl

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So I did the math I'm looking at about 83 cubic feet of dirt and about 13 cubic feet of manure/compost. Which will set me back about 300 if not more (why douse Gardening soil have to be so expensive.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So I did the math I'm looking at about 83 cubic feet of dirt and about 13 cubic feet of manure/compost. Which will set me back about 300 if not more (why douse Gardening soil have to be so expensive.

you might be able to do better with a landscaper bringing in topsoil. always inspect it before they start bringing it.

rodeogirl

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'll have to look in to that. We do have a greenhouse in the town and the owner is relay good about giving discounts.

So I got a massage from my little man's teacher that he has passed the kindergarten level and is working on first grade in his Lexia app on the iPad (it is a app the school uses that helps with reading spelling and sight words.)

rodeogirl

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I know we are supposed to keep our distance and not visit the elderly but I couldn't help it. My little man asked if we could go see grandma and grandpa. My grandparents are in there 90s and they love the kids.
20200326_162411.jpg
(Aubrey saw the cat)
20200326_163151.jpg

20200326_165132.jpg

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It was very nice of you to go visit them. Bet everyone loved it.

I am debating about Easter dinner - do I go or not. I probably won't go.
-We are under state Stay-At-Home orders - so I would be breaking that rule.
-I go into work everyday and am in a building with other people. Although we are all about 10' apart at our desks, we pass each other in the hall, get closer to each other in the break-room warming up lunches, etc.
-My Dad has a weak heart and is on medications. Upper respiratory issues are so hard on him - I don't know what I would do if I inadvertently exposed him to the corona-virus...

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Stay-at-home order here includes family gatherings and all groups over 5 people. And it's supposed to be the same 5 people for the entire stay-at-home. This is birthday season for our family, all those and Easter are cancelled for us.