Rolling pins, anyone?

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Since Ive been doing a lot more baking, I'm curious to hear others' opinions.

I have a rolling pin. It's a heavy marble roller type, and good for some things. But not so great for most, it seems. I end up grabbing a round jar and using that on most things I bake (can double as a cutter if I wanna cut out biscuits). But most of my round jars are pretty small so I'm doing a LOT of rolling due to surface area. Hard to push down on it too, and hard to vet a consistent thickness.

Do you have a favorite rolling pin? What kind, what do you use it on, and why do you like it?

Enquiring minds want to know! I'd like to get one, but don't want to spend money and take up space with something I won't like using.

Thanks!!!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have my grandmother's wooden rolling pin, and I love it - though it could just be that I love the nostlgia of it :lol:. I just love old kitchen things, especially those that have memories attached. I also have a little version, also wooden - it was part of a child's baking set that my other grandmother gave me when I was little - very useful for small jobs, and there is that nostalgia factor again :)
But I have also used just a thick dowel for rolling out pastry, and that works just as well. And I have a marble pin as well, but hardly ever use it; its too heavy to be comfortable. I do love the marble board that came with it though.
One kind of pin that is very prevalent now has handles that spin - that is, they are not attached to the pin, but to each other through the center of the pin. Personally I dislike this kind, but that could just be me :).
In a pinch I have used a wine bottle.

ETA: A good place to find older rolling pins is in second hand stores; I love going through to find old kitchen gadgets, and often see rolling pins.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I have a marble roller and I hate it. I'm jonesing for a solid wooden Paula Dean one from WalMart.

ETA: On second thought, I could probably make one just fine.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Orchick, I know just what you mean. I wish I had one from my grandma. I have some of her cast iron and a glass bowl, and I treasure those things. I can be big on nostalgia too, and I love lots od olf-fashioned type tools and utensils.

Tortoise -- that's exactly the one that got me thinking about when I first saw it a year ago. About $11? I know I said in another post, I go round with myself for a long time before buying anything, and it's true. ;). Yesterday in Wal-Mart I noticed they didn't have them anymore. I know they are downsizing there, so other Wal-Marts may. But ... If I REALLY wanna get one and it turns out that's a good price, just wanted to be aware on that point to decide.

I did wonder if I couldn't just make one though. It is tapered but ...

I used to have to whittle out wooden specialty tools for a job I used to do. I can do it but $11 isn't so bad in that case, all finished and smooth and ready.

I'm thinking wood HAS to be better than this marble for anything except possibly pie crusts. I can chill the marble one but ... I roll out biscuits and cookies and pizza dough way more often than pie crust.

The jar thing is tedious. I might look for a suitable bottle though. I actually have a few tucked away somewhere that I thought might someday come in handy. ;)

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I also have a marble one and don't like it much - I think I've only used it twice with little success. :/

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have my Grandmas and several that were given to me by friends and family, one is just huge!
But so far the ones that I use the most are the little 1/2 inch dowel ones that are about 10inches long and my french rolling pin- just a wooden dowel that is tapered down on each end. LOVE that rolling pin.
Just go to any hobby lobby and buy a big hardwood dowel and have them cut it into(or I had hubby cut it) about 3 equal pieces and I sanded and then mineral oiled it and I use them all the time for tortilla's and pita bread, it is just the perfect size.
on the french pin- if you or someone you know has a lathe you could make one from a nice hunk of good oak or walnut or even cherry.
Gramma's has it's own place of Honor in the kitchen. I still use it for Christmas cookies.:love

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I have an old one passed down from my mother. It is just the right size and performs well. I keep it oiled and wrapped gently in my kitchen drawer....hope it lasts me for my lifetime also.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
My mom still uses my grandma's rolling pin, but she is going to give it to me when she stops baking...my other siblings spend NO time in the kitchen. :rolleyes: I hope she keeps baking for a really loooong time. ;) I'm in no hurry to get it.

I have a few different ones, I have a French pin that is all wood, no handles. It is thicker in the middle than on the ends. I like it just fine. It also doubles for many things such as nut cracking, etc.

I have a few smaller normal wooden pins for small jobs or for kids to use. They have had their share of rolling play dough in the past.

My daughter's Tia Rosemaria uses a 1 inch dowel of some sort to flatten tortillas and other flat bread type things, like gorditas and such. It is about 15 inches long.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Mine is a wooden one, with red handles....got it at a flea market so no sentimental value, but I love the red handled utensils from the old days. The handles spin, and its a good weight and already seasoned, and I love it! :p

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I have a marble one that took some getting used to, but I like it just fine. I have been eyeing wooden ones at the restaurant supply place that I go to on occasion (I could drop several hundred dollars in that place in a few short minutes if I had it!). So tell me about the tapered French one. Wouldn't it make your dough have low spots in the center? I thought it would also double as a 'kraut pounder! :lol:

Latest posts