Roof Venting....I think I have hit the wall on this.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Again, the fact that I am getting the roof labor free is a giant blessing. I appreciate it so much. But nothing is happening. I think it is GOING to happen, but so far, nothing. At least nothing particularly positive.

I did hear from Phil, the H4H contractor, today. He measured the roof and with the garage, the overhangs and the pitch, my 1450 square foot house needs 2300 square feet of shingles. That's a big discrepancy. Maybe if there are leftovers, we can return them.

As well, I need fascia board and the metal flashing and the gutters and downspouts.

When I first talked with Phil in February, he guesstimated $800 for shingles. Next time, he thought $1200 for just the shingles. Then we added the fascia and the flashing and it took it to $1600. The fourth time, it was going to be a little more, but not sure exactly. If we had to replace the entire roof instead of doing a lay over like we are doing, it was going to be $5000, and they couldn't do the patio cover, which is falling apart, but they could rip it off for me free. Good news there !!!

After the inspection, we found out that the entire roof and some of the trusses were good to go, so the $5000 figure was lowered to $2500. I decided to adopt a wait and see attitude on the patio cover, which took eliminated that expense as well. Bottom line was that the final amount would be at the very most $2500, but probably "much less".

So, today he actually talked to a building supply store. The shingles alone are $2100. Doesn't count the fascia or the flashing. Or the nails. A box of nails costs $50. That's how much I live on for one month.

And it will be another $200 to rent the dumpster they will need for the patio cover and the old fascia.

We are looking probably at $3000. I raised, earned and collected $1859. BUT....$650 went for required attic insulation and $101 went for the building permit. I have a $200 rebate coming from the State of California, which will bring me in at $1308.

PLUS--- When are they going to start? They don't know. The shingles will be delivered and put in a pile on my roof the first of next week. The building arts class has to finish another job before they come here. And now I hear that sometimes the students just don't show up. AND...the teacher has jury duty. The earliest I will see them is next Wednesday the 16th. Which gives them about five weeks of class remaining, and they will be here about 2-3 hours a day. If they show up.

Phil promises me that if they don't get it done, he will find someone else to do it. He would do that now, except on Monday he is leaving for a month in Germany with his church to do ministry.

Are you sensing my frustration?

If you are a praying person, will you just take a couple of seconds to ask the Lord to help me get through this? He has so graciously provided thus far, and I know He will continue. But I am just hanging on by a thread here.

I feel like I am starting all over again. I am so grateful for what the Lord has done and how the love I have received has changed my attitude. I know this is a spiritual battle going on to get me discouraged and not trusting the Lord. I can't let that happen.

I am going to lie down now and approach the Lord for some encouragement. Thanks for your help and prayers.

Kris

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I was praying so hard for my little goats. Things just kept on going wrong. Then one morning I said: ok I give, I will trust that the Gods know what they are doing and that whatever they decide, will be the right thing. I turned it over to the Gods. Completely. I just continued to care for my sick little goats. I felt a bit of calm settle over me and gave my baby goat her subcutaneous fluids and stroked her and cuddled her. It was all I could do.
Later that day I took her outside and as on prior days, I put a bit of food in her mouth. For the first time she did not spit it out! By the end of the day she was taking her bottle and eating!

What I am saying is that maybe you are trying to hard to keep control of it. Let go, and really trust in God. It will work out, but on his terms!!
:hugs

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
That is extraordinarily good advice. Last night I was just SO frustrated. I am going to listen to you !

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I was raised in a society that valued ethics and reputation. You gave your word, and could be relied upon to keep it. No excuses were acceptable, trustworthiness was paramount.

Last week, I was told that today would be the absolutely guaranteed start date for the roof. I rented the dumpster. The shingles were delivered. The promised 7 Am start time came and went, and now it is three hours later. I finally got the number of the job boss and called him. He is NOW promising that next Monday will be the guaranteed start date. His class is STILL tiling a floor that they started three weeks ago.

:barnie :he :barnie :he :barnie :he :barnie :he :barnie :he :barnie :he :barnie :he :barnie :he :barnie :he

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Aw sweetheart, SOOOOooooooooo frustrating! Vent away and stomp your feet (you'll feel better ;) ) Then remember to look for the rainbow. Perhaps the hidden blessing is in the timing... imagine how terrible it would be if they started tearing things apart and got part way done and then you had a huge storm. His timing is perfect and this whole project has been a miracle from the sounds of it so He's not going to quit on you now. :hugs and more prayers... :hugs

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I agree! Ldy, it is very sad that you are experiencing this after all the hard work you put into getting it even started.

It will happen. But it won't happen on your schedule, it will happen just when it is supposed to. And from what you have said, it might take a while to get the work finished. Just keep your cool, keep focused on the end result and let God sort it out.

Seems like you need another :hugs

edited to fix smiley