Rooster Tales and Questions

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My current roo is a Partridge Rock, which are very beautiful~I don't have a good pic of him right now. His name is Tobias, Toby for short, and he is gentle, quiet (rarely crows and is muffled when he does), is just starting to call the hawk alarm and is surprisingly a steady breeder.

I used to have an old RIR/banty cross roo named Sue~the boys named him after the Johnny Cash song and thought it would toughen him up. He was a wonderful roo but he was shooting blanks and keeping Toby from breeding, so he had to be eaten.

I had a Blue Orp that was as big as a turkey jake, was horribly rough with the girls, crowed all the time and once tried to challenge my authority. Once.

He had HUGE testes, about the size of a small egg each ~which explains why he was so aggressive. His sons had the same sized testes, I didn't wait to see if they were mean.....the sons found their way to the stewpot also. :rolleyes:

I'm very satisfied with Toby and I hope he lives a long and fertile life. :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I didn't notice anything awry....we ate him for Easter Sunday dinner! :D I was just so amazed, as the usual roo teste is about the size of a bean, his were the size of an human ovary! :ep

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wooo! Rooster thread!
Here is Godzilla, who I've already posted entirely too much about.
1338_chicken1.jpeg

I *love* this bird. He is gentle and sweet. Even on the few rare occasions when he challenged me, it was just a bluffing charge or a nip on the booty. We settled it quickly.
We named him Godzilla because he had a pelvic injury from getting stompled on by a predator when he was young. He healed, but he still lumbers around with an absurd stomping gait that makes him look like he's off to destroy Tokyo. This is my first year with chickens, and I plan on him being the foundation of a line of massive, huggable chickens :D

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Occamstazer said:
big brown horse said:
:lol: You guys didn't do a taste teste? :lol:
:gig :gig :gig
BBH you're killin' me!
Hee hee, I couldn't resist.

And my you have one large roo!! (Oh, what I really wanted to say...the bad jokes must cease!!) I wish I could see him walk!!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You guys didn't do a taste teste? OMG!! BWAHAHAHA!!! :lol: Coffee coming out the mouth, and nose!! AWFULL!!! Sooo funny, but then again...so Ewwww!!
We have several roosters. Hmmm, lets seee...
RubyRed...our RIR/Astralorp. He us HUGH!! He is the best protector..and I swear, he understands ever word. I can tell him to take the girls to bed...and he calls them back to the coop. :/ I need to be carefull what I say in there. :) He has a new aprentice...a Welsummer cockerell. No name yet..but he sure is pretty.
Then there is Gin. He is the Buff Orp. Funy how he got his name...we had 2 BO roos. One would hop..not walk..so my son(24 yrs old) said, Mom we need to call him HopScotch.....then he changed it to Scotch...and the other became Gin. :rolleyes:
Then there is ZeeZee. He is the Barred Rock. Big and Beautifull...and gentle! My grandson wanted to name him, so he came up with Zebra (because of his stripes) I shortened it to ZeeZee. I love this rooster!!
Then, there is my Welsummer Roo...Screamer! Oh boy can this boy scream! If I pick him up, you would think I was plucking him alive!!
Then, there is Pretty boy. He is a mostly white, with a little buff, and black...EE roo. ( who is destined to the pot, if I cant find him a home soon!) And his arch nemesis another EE roo... named Shoo. I dont particularly like this roo, and am always "shooing" him from the girls. ( he too is destined to the pot) Altho he is BEAUTIFULL, copper orange! Anyone need a few roosters!?? :p
The bantys, ( which I have WAY too many of) There is Biggun. He needed a good name to make him feel bigger...he had a complex from the larger roosters and his son Little man. They are Banty Cochin Frizzles. ( eye candy) Another little Banty Cochin...Chester...Oh, he is a ladys man! Beautifull black and rust.
My other Cockerell...is a partrige Silkie, ( we thought was going to be black)...he has ONE hen, they are Johny and June.
I have a few more cockerells...showgirls, and a little white, MIGHT be a bantam leghorn...or a white japanese....or Serama...were not sure yet....no names yet. Oh, Hey, anyone need a few roosters!??? LOL