Roosters are strange

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They fight each other during the day but huddle together at night.

Good thing there is no hen in there with the roos - it would be all out war! I need to get these in the freezer soon!

IMG_20180424_200857224.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You could do that, but it would waste a lot of your meat. The very fine bones in the chicken do not can up so well and tend to crumble when you try to get the meat off them...pretty soon you have a handful of bone crumbles mixed with meat and you can't get them separated. The only bones that can well are the larger ones like leg bones.

I've tried canning bone in and without the bone and I can tell you, it's worth the time to debone prior to canning...you get to keep more of your meat and the meat cans up a little more firm when you cut it into bite sized pieces...looks better in your recipes.

I'd say, try it both ways and see how you like the end product. I guarantee you AND your wife will love the ease of opening that jar and not having to separate bone from meat and also the little discs of gristle that do not soften in the canning process. Plus, when canning without the bone, you don't waste jar space...every jar is 100% packed full of meat.

Well can't argue with experience. that's why I really like this site - so much knowledge and everyone seems very willing to share their knowledge. When it come to cooking I'm not all that and I'll be the first to admit it, unless it's chicken or turkey soup I can do those pretty well.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes. the canning cooks the meat. Beekissed has it right for the best savings, outcome & use of meat in a jar. :clap While the jars are processing, another pot can cook the bones into broth. One long day and it's done. :drool I HOPE to have one of those days next week. 10 to process.....live now. Big job, alone! :hide

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
You want them? I can stick the all in a big box and ship them to you :lol:

I can't afford the shipping....$75 to ship just one full grown rooster, can't imagine what it would cost to ship the whole slew of them! But...I'd take 'em if it were free.... and quickly give them a snug home inside a Mason jar. :D

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I can't afford the shipping....$75 to ship just one full grown rooster, can't imagine what it would cost to ship the whole slew of them! But...I'd take 'em if it were free.... and quickly give them a snug home inside a Mason jar. :D

Talk to me what size jar and how do you prepare / cook them???

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Talk to me what size jar and how do you prepare / cook them???

Qt. jar. I just debone them, cut them into bite sized pieces and can them in a raw pack with some salt and I add a little water so there won't be any meat sticking up above the broth line. I pack them in the jar tightly. Process in the PC for 90 min.

I use these bite sized pieces of chicken in any and all recipes that require chicken~soup, casseroles, salads, chicken alfredo, etc. The ease of having tender, flavorful chicken that is already cooked, ready to dump into any recipe is just bliss. Don't have to worry about trying to make an old bird tender and juicy..they come out of the jar that way.

The bones are then cooked down into stock, any meat from those is picked off and canned also. Bones are then given to the dogs. Don't forget their legs..they make the best stock. They also make wonderful dog treats later on or even if you don't want to cook them down, you can freeze them and feed them to the dogs later on.