Roosting chickens under the house?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
If I create a "roost" for my chickens to roost on/in under my house with a layer of shavings and a tray under them on the floor, will allowing my chickens to roost under the house (partial basement with doors that open out into the yard) be ok? It is not heated under there, just better insulated. I'm worried about them getting too cold out there in their unheated coop.

It was 16 degrees last night and it is going to be just as cold tonight. We are having a "cold snap" at the moment and I would only let them roost under there temporarily. Their coop is not that insulated b/c we usually have more mild weather. I have covered it with a tarp and it has deep litter, but I still worry.

BTW my RIR "Ruby" is a bumble bee! It is currently 20 degrees she is still recovering from molt, it gets dark at 4:30 and the sun does not come up until 6:30 YET that chick still lays one egg a day. Gotta love her, she is a trooper!! If I could tell them apart, I would only have RIRs. :)

ETA: I have one rooster and 6 hens. The two Rouen Ducks will sleep with me. :p

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I can't see why not. That way you can run a little heater for them or something also. Messes clean up and chicken poo ain't permanent! :D

I like RIRs also and plan on getting more...they are a thrifty bird all the way around.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Thanks Bee.

I call Ruby "the Sergeant". She "don't take no guff" from the rest of the flock and she can throw down that poor emasculate rooster. Egg laying is her life, she doesn't let anything get in her way!

When I call "RUUUBY", she is the only one that comes a-running for her special snack and she always lets me pick her up. :love

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That's what I was raising. Loved em, but they don't go broody easily.

Heck, BBH some folks have chickens living IN the house. I doubt you'd have problems with them under it. The key will be for them to actually use it though.

How's the ventilation under there? Enough so it wouldn't get stuffy with ammonia?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I have a Ruby also! :D She is a Dom with a ruby-red comb. I named her after my granny.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Ruby a mother, no way! :lol: She thinks going broody is a complete waste of time and it gets in the way of her career: egglaying. :) I've got to get a little frizzle chicken for that. My mom calls them incubators. The rest of my flock are Ameraucanas and B.A.s. And not one of them are laying. :rolleyes:

It will be temporary, so I doubt ammonia will build up, but there is a little doggy door that can be propped open if needed.

ETA: Bee, I love that name so much I there will have to be Ruby #2, #3 etc. when she goes. :D

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
It gets below zero here and my gals are just fine in their unheated, uninsulated coop. I just make sure there are no drafts, so I staple cardboard up along the walls next to the roosts since it isn't "tight," which is great in the summer. I pull down the cardboard in the spring. Easy-peasy! And they don't get all "disrupted" by a move.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
How will you get them to bed down there? mine are such creatures of habit, they would not be easily relocated!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
freemotion said:
It gets below zero here and my gals are just fine in their unheated, uninsulated coop. I just make sure there are no drafts, so I staple cardboard up along the walls next to the roosts since it isn't "tight," which is great in the summer. I pull down the cardboard in the spring. Easy-peasy! And they don't get all "disrupted" by a move.
OMG uninsulated coop below zero????? That makes me feel soooo much better!! I hated moving them, bc they get their knickers in a twist. My coop is draft proof since I winterized it this fall, so no worries there. It is a small coop and they are all sharing a small space (their choice, I have other roost areas in the coop) they are huddled up together to stay warm....smart birds.

OK, I was not too keen on capturing them tonight and moving them to the basement!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Dace said:
How will you get them to bed down there? mine are such creatures of habit, they would not be easily relocated!
My plan was to pluck them up one at a time as they tried to enter the coop on their ladder. hee hee, would have made them all so mad too.

Thank you all, this is really my first time to own chickens in a cold climate. :)

Latest posts