root cellar at sea level?

nachoqtpie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We live not far from the ocean, meaning we cannot have a basement because it would quickly become an indoor swimming pool. This leaves us in a dilemma. We want to plant enough potatoes to last us a winter, but we don't know what we would do with them upon harvest.

Anybody have any ideas on what we could do, other than can some and/or freeze some? I would like something inexpensive, something that my husband and I could do ourselves, and won't fill with water! Lol

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
And thinking some more:

Could you scare up an old freezer or frig that didn't work to store spuds in outside? Not knowing your temps there....

I also remember reading about people storing root veggies in metal trashcans that were buried in the ground, then topped with straw for insulation. Seemed like some things were stored in sand, others were just in the can w/ some straw.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
No basement here either - they aren't a good idea where earthquakes are possible, so few houses have them on the West Coast. Our house, however, is against a hill, which means that the downstairs rooms, and the garage, are backed by the hill - which keeps things sort of cool, but not really "root cellar" cool. However, I have had some success with keeping root crops (carrots specifically) for a long time (longer than they would last in the 'fridge) by burying them in a box in damp sand, and keeping it in the garage. I used a Rubbermaid tote, and put some sand in it, and buried the carrots so they were not touching each other, and they kept fairly well through the winter last year. A few rotted, but they were no doubt not in pristine state when first buried. I've still got the sand box, but haven't refilled it yet this Autumn. I imagine that turnips, beets, parsnips, etc would also keep well this way. Squash and sweet potatoes are fine just on a shelf in our garage; I've heard of some people, in harsher climates than Western Oregon, keeping them in a spare bedroom, with the heating vents closed. Potatoes, I have learned, will keep reasonably well in a box or basket in my garage in the winter, but I can't keep them for long in the summer at all.