3) 1/4 cup chopped bell pepper
4) 1 tblspoon minced garlic
5) 2 cups peeled, diced, deseeded tomatoes
6) 1 lb whole okra
7) tblspoon parsley
8) tblspoon thyme
9) 2 cups fish or chicken broth
10) 1 bay leaf
11) 1 medium chili pepper, minced (can sub any hot pepper or pepper powder you wish, cayenne is another good one or for the faint of heart, leave it out)
12) 1 lb fish filets, cut into bite sized pieces (easier to slice when mostly frozen)
13) lb raw small shrimp, peeled & deveined or lb peeled crawfish tails, cooked & peeled (I used crayfish, since I had some on hand)
14) File powder (powdered sassafras leaves) to taste. Completely optional, but more authentic tasting
15) Salt & pepper to taste

Fry bacon til crisp. Remove bacon, reserving drippings and add onion, bell pepper and celery. Cook over medium heat until tender and slightly browned. Stir lots.

Add garlic and lower heat. Cook until garlic is fragrant & starting to turn translucent.
Do NOT scorch your garlic and do not use garlic powder, it turns nasty.

Add ingredients 5-11. Simmer until the okra is done. Add fish and shrimp. Simmer until fish & shrimp are done. Crumble bacon over the top, add a dash of file powder & serve over warm cooked rice.

You can also add any other veggies youd like, kale, carrots even zucchini at the same time you add the okra.

It was so freaking good, my beastie and DH had 3 bowls, the kids each had 2. :D
Eek! That should have been a 1/2 cup onion and 1/4 cup bell pepper. Corrected.

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wow, that sounds great! I gonna have to find some red snapper.

And I would definitely recommend to everyone not to leave out the file power... it definitely will make a difference.