Ruathia Holding

Jaxom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've been thinking about starting a journal for a few days now. It's been pointed out a few times that I need to have a set plan to achive the goals that I desire so much. I do have certain goals in mind, along with a vision as to where and what I want to do. But, well sometimes you need a bit of advice so you stay on track and get where you want to go.

Since I've yet to do a profile in the nearly month since I joined here, I should start out by telling everyone a bit about myself. I'm 44yrs young. Will be 45 on August 15th. I'm single. Sapposedly engaged, but it doesn't really feel like it anymore. I've a wonderful, beautiful 6 1/2 year old daughter that means the world to me.

I myself grew up as the only child of a single parent. This had of course both it's benifits as well as it's downfalls. At times during my young years my mother and I lived with my grandparents. At which time 3 of my great grandparents also lived. This too also provided it's pro's and cons. But I survived, and probably better off for it to. In 1977 my mother purchased her first home. This house although was located on a double wide lot in our town. This affroded us a huge garden where I quickly learned that I've a green thumb. I also learned how to can and preserve what we grew back then as well.

Because my mother felt it was nessary that I had the influence and guidence from men and to be around other boys, she enrolled me into scouting as soon as I was old enough to become a cubscout. I stayed in scouting all the way through until I made my eagle in 1984, the same year I graduated highschool. While in college I stayed on as assistant scoutmaster teaching first aid, fishing and marksmenship merit badges.

While college didn't work out as planned (the school took out my department in my senior year), I started work immediately once I was out of school. For the better part of 20 years at one company or another I was a retail manager. I did, at times take other jobs, when nessary. So I've done 10key, data entry, warehouse, assembly work, ect. Even ran a mail room at one time as well. In 1999 I finally proposed to my girlfriend of 5 years at the time. I was working for a major drugstore/dry goods store at the time. But with an 84 hour work week (7 12 hour days in a row) then 7 days off, it was starting to get to me and wasn't very good for my relationship with my fiance. So after discussing the situation with her, her father, my mother, as well as friends I sold my stock in the company I worked for and retuned to school. Sadly this second time worked even worse the the first time around. School was a fraud, and the owner of the company is behind bars. There went $4000!

With a loan from my mother I went back for a third time, this time I was seeking my MSCE (microsoft certified network engineer), specializing in network security. But then totally unexpected, fiance and I found we were expecting our daughter. I dropped out of school and found work immediatly, so as to support my now rapidly expanding family. I quickly found work and continued doing so until 2006 when this company was bought out and consolidated the managment (I was a sales manager at the time) Being laid off and having a 3yr old you're trying to pay support for, I again immediately started looking for work again. While doing so, a county representiative at my local unemployment office encouraged me to go back to school, on thier dime this time, for any trade I chose. I happened to have an interest in welding so I took a course in this. Sadly though, this class was a joke. In 16 weeks the course ran they didn't bother to teach use how to read even one welding blue print symbol. Even after I recieved my sapposed "welder certification", nobody would hire me.

I didn't have much time to dwell on this, because it was only a matter of weeks later when my mother fell at work on some black ice on her way home one morning. I rushed her to our local hospital's ER. I know full well head injuries are serious. It was during the examination while my mother was in the ER that they determined she had breast cancer.

Even though my mother didn't have insurance other then medicare part A, we did manage to get her set up at county hospital for treatments. Only one problem. Even after making litterly hundreds of calls to all sorts of agencies, I could find NOBODY to take my mother to and from the hospital for these treatments and visits with her onocolgist. This duty then fell on me. It was rough, I had to make the decision of having to take care of my mother, or not care of her and try to find some sort of employment so I could give my fiance support for our daugther. But I knew my daughter would be well taken care of. When the finally told us how far along the cancer was, (it was stage IV before it was caught), I did some research online. I knew that my mother had less then at 10% chance to live another 5 years. So I don't regret one moment the decision I made to take care of her and be there when she needed me. As it was she faught the cancer off for nearly 3 years, only succumbing to it fall of 2009.

So that leaves me where I am today. I'm loosing the house my mother worked so hard for for nearly 30 years. It's rought at times to concider this aspect to be honest. Yet, something inside me is saying this is my chance to break free and become everything I can be or do. Because my mother enrolled me in scouts, has had a life altering change in me. For a long time now I've wanted to move out of the city. So, while I am close to being forced out of the home I'm in now, I'm also looking at this as someone telling me this is the proper time to reach for the preverbal brass ring. To turn a what most would concider a downfall into something possitive. And that's what's been keeping me going! Well,that and my daughter too!

Now why am I calling my Journal "Ruathia Holding". I sappose there's a bit of explaination due here. I'm a book worm. I love to read. It saddens me I have to sell of as many books as I'm having too, but hey, I can always buy more books later once I move, right? I love Sci-fi/fantasy stories and one that is very dear to me is Ann McCaffery's 'Dragon Rider's of Pern' series of books. If you know anything about these books or have read them, they REALLY fall right into the theme of Self Sufficency's forums.

The books take place thousands of years advanced from now. Humans have been space faring for quite some time. That is until we ran into another space fairing speicies. Where as usual a war broke out. This war lasted for centuries. After the war was over (the books never say who won), we go back to exploring space peacfully. Where one of our exploration teams find a small planet with some but not alot of raw materials. Nothing special to speak of. But of interest to some back on Earth. By which time has become a planet wide meglotroplis. With not one spot of green anywhere left on the entire planet. So a group of approximately 4000 settlers desiring a more self sufficent aguarian life set off to colonate the planet of Pern.

Ruathia is a "Holding" on the planet Pern. Think of it as the Lord's castle-keep. And the lord has workers harvesting grains and other things. Some holds do mining, others holds do fishing, and so on. Ruathia is actually from an old dialect of irish or scottish, I don't remember which now, that means green fields. Where cattle are rasied and crops are grown. "Jaxom" is actually the lord of Ruathia. Although in first book he's just a baby. I relate the character because he didn't have a father (his father was actually killed by a dragon rider). His title is actually "Lord Holder of Ruathia, rider of white dragon Ruth (Ironically my mother's first name)

My ultimate goals at this time are as follows.

It's my intentions to find a fair sized place to rent or buy. Preferably 1-5 acers would be fine. And frankly at this point I don't care if all it has is a one room house on it. So long as I have the land, that's the most important to me. I can always build a different house later.

To achieve this goal I need to...

1)get estate sale done...sooner the better, yesterday would have been best

2)get my truck working. I did some work on it today, I'm a bit closer to having the gas tank resintalled with new pump. Still need to work on a snapped off bolt in order to do so.

3)get the last of the things I want to keep (very little) packed and ready to move on a moments notice

4)continue seeking work here and in the area I'm seeking to move to

5)Investigate some possible sources of income where I run a buisness (re become a commercial fisherman)

6) Continue researching and reading anything and everything thing I can about self sufficent living.

7)get on real estate broker, it's been 3 weeks since he said he was going to see if I can do short sale on house

8)get my nieghbors to take the dozen boxes of books they bought out of basemnet i need the room to do sale with

9)get in touch with local dental school, see about getting some teeth pulled before they get infected again

10)If truck is working, go visit daughter, it's been months and I miss her!

11)If I'm not busy, I'm not thinking right there's too much that needs to be done!

Jax

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
So sorry to hear about your Mom.

Sounds like you still have a positive attitude which is great. Its that attitude that will see you through, up an onward and make reaching the brass ring possible.

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Here's hoping you have great success in your endeavors. Keep posting so we can keep up with your progress.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Hi Jax, nice to see you started a journal, it helps to work things out in a concrete form sometimes. I was thinking about something reading your intro. With all your scouting experience have you ever considered working as a game warden or park ranger? Sounds like it may be right up your alley. Just a thought.

Sorry about your mom, sounds like she was a special lady....seems that cancer is just taking over our world lately. :hugs

Jaxom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
7/18/2010 update

Figured I don't have as much as other going on, only do weekly updates for now.

Ever have one of those weeks you did alot, yet didn't get much accomplished? That was my past week. I'd been hit with a flood two weeks before and then the past week had a tooth infection. By last monday, I was really REALLY far behind on domestic duties. So I spent the day doing dishes, laundry, washing floors vaccuming ect. Anyone that says men don't clean, come on by. I might be loosing this place, but that's no reason I should live in a pig sty.

Tuesday, was my day I pick up my monthly general assistance check. It's not much, but keeps things rolling as best as it can. Every dollar get's streched as far as it can. After getting that I also hit a local food bank in order to help strech the check even further. Once back home went through the single grocery bag of food I got from food bank. This gives me a better idea on how to plan meals and what I'll need to get from the store to streach this even further. Did hit the store, had a budget of $35 for the month. This allowed me to get a dozen half eggs, couple whole fryer/roaster chickens and a few other odd's and ends.

Wednesday I hit the pavement. In order to recieve that monthy I'm required to apply for 10 jobs a month. Honestly, I can do 10 jobs a day, and often do so. They won't accept online job applications as the city has expiernced people lying about job hunting. What I didn't know when I set off Wednesday morning was how the tempuratures were going to soar around here. When I left the house around 10am, it was a pleasant 78F, by the time I got home 4 1/2 hours later it was 94F!!! By the time I reached the last place I was going to apply for that day, I was soaked from prespiring so much. Oddest thing was the manager's reaction when I walked into this small branch bank. She litterly shoved me into a chair, forced me to drink two bottles of ice water and then without asking me debated with her teller whether or not to call for an ambulance! I'm glad there was somone so concerned, but it did take some swift talking to stop her from calling. I was only 4 blocks from my home at the time, I promised that I'd get into a cold shower and cool down was bout the only thing that did stop her.

Thursday rolls around. Now I must get that job application sheet I had done the day before over to the city. This I know is too far to walk to, and now I'm aware of our heat wave. In fact the forcast for both thursday and friday were 95F and higher. I hoof it over to bus stop and then wait....and wait....and wait. Mind you this is our wonderful public transportation that gets BILLIONS in handouts from the government, yet they keep raising prices and cutting routes... They also got rid of all the covered bus stops. Heck most stops don't even have a bench! Bus finally comes 45 minutes later. After a 15 minute ride, I get off and walk the couple blocks over to the city building I need to go to. I'm in and out in 5 minutes flat.

Now it's back to the bus stop. To wait....and wait....and wait some more. A five minute meeting basically ruined my day. Meeting was set for 1pm, complete round trip took 4 1/2 hours!

Keep in mind folks, doing this job hunt, I'm not opposed to it. What is the worst that can happen? I might actually find work??? Oh no I wouldn't want that to happen! :eek:

I knew thursday night that friday was going to be hotter still. So I set my alarm and was in the basement by 9am. Spent the day down there cleaning, organizing and what not. Even redisplayed the books while going through them one more time for any I wanted to keep. Sooo glad I did, found a copy of "The Foxfire Book Of Appalachian Cookery" when I did. I've got a few of the Fox Fire books would eventually like the complete set. So I'm glad I did that.

Problem with friday, although I did get alot of work in the basement on the sale done, it was sooo blasted hot, I couldn't shower down till nearly 4am saturday morning. It was just too darn hot in my bedroom. Barely slept at all that night. Still, with only a few hours rest, got right back on the sale again on satruday. I didn't get as many hours done, but still put in about 8 on saturday.

Sunday, took the day off today. The week I had the tooth infection, and then combined with heat, wasn't sleeping much, started making some stupid mistakes last few hours I worked on saturday. Broke a few things I wanted to sell. Can't afford that risk, so I got plent of sleep. Did strip down bed and bathroom did washed that up so day wasn't totally wasted. Made myself a real nice roast chicken dinner as well. I debated about truning on the oven in the heat, but I ran out of propane for grill, so I hadn't much of a choice. I don't know about everyone else, but the thought of eating anything fried when it's hot out makes my tummy queasy. So frying wasn't an option either.

So now it's late Sunday night. Have my alarm set for 9am tomorrow. Going to put on a major final push to get this done now. I can actually see the preverbial light at the end of the tunnel. My only wish is that I had more tables or shelves to display things one. I've got stuff so crammed together it's hard to see everything that's on display. And I'm using EVERY table I can get my hands on.

So this week's goal(s)

Continue final push on sale items. Everything is semi sorted now by catagory, now it's just getting stuff out of boxes and displayed some how. As I'm going through stuff I'm making sure eveything is clean and presentable. Still have to work out details how to price things. Have a few ideas, but I'm not exactilly sure yet.

I do have a few calls to make this week as well. It totally slipped my mind about inquiring about a commercial fishing license this past week. Yet I just found out the second of the two canneries in the state just recieved grant from the state to expand thier buisness after recieivng an order for 30 tonnes of Silverfin (asian carp). This will require them to hire between 60-100 more fishermen!

If that option doesn't work out. There's something else I've been mulling over in my brain. To this date, there is not one state, county or city program that I can enroll in to get trained and licensed to opperate a fork lift. Yet as I explained in another forum, companies around here are begging for forklift drivers. And the pay is pretty darn good too! Much more then your average assembler or packer would make for sure.

So, other then just pounding out the hours in the basement (where it's cooler anyways), I've just have to keep up with domestic chores like dishes, laundry, lawn mowing, ect. Some how I have to figure out a way to display more stuff though. The two weeks I "lost" to flood and tooth infection, I still kept busy. I went through every room, closet, cabinet, ect and and gathered another pile of more stuff on the back porch to add to sale. And frankly I have no more room down there!!!

I'm kicking myself now. A month and half ago I cleaned out the garage. Had some left over lumber. Manage to sell off 20 or so 2x4's and 2x6's left over from a remodling project. But I didn't sell the 4 pieces of exterior plywood siding. Had I known then that I was going to have a problem with tables I could have used some of those 2x4's for legs to make tables with out of the plywood. UGH! after thoughts get you everytime!

That's it for now....

Jax