Rusted hog wire on deck edge

Daffodils At The Sea

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I really like the look of rusted hog wire panels and some black metal upright poles I've got for around the edge of the deck, but I'm concerned that the rust will continually drip onto the wood and stain it. The deck is stained, but it's still vulnerable, it seems.

I don't know if there's something that can be painted on the wood so the rust could be washed off, or rained off, but I don't want to have to spend time really scrubbing it off of there.

Anybody tried this or have a situation where rust is dripping onto stained wood? Thanks. :)

Sprinkler Buddy

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Maybe use some flashing or something at the bottom to redirect water/rust run off to the outer edge of the deck. Or maybe just install poles in the ground if possible and install hog wire to it, have none of it on or over the deck, just snug up close to the deck.

Daffodils At The Sea

Power Conserver
Reaction score
The flashing is a good idea! Thanks!

This is not my deck, but it's an example of what the hog wire looks like.
texasplathouserails_02.jpeg

Sprinkler Buddy

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I like the look, the hog wire I have around my deer feeders are galvanized I think. They are old and haven't rusted a bit. I would take a small fern strip and put at the top and bottom of hog wire, both sides of it. It would dress it up and give it a more finished look.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Nice! We used hog fencing sections between posts around the stair opening in the house. I was going to paint some rust or something in some of the corners, just never got to it...yet.