Sad Day at the Goat Pen

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Two weeks ago one of the goats got severly injured. We aren't sure exactly what happened since no one was there when it did. I went to milk on Tuesday as normal,and saw puddles of blood on the ground. Thought maybe Shadow was in labor, but it was too early. Or that a preditor got in and injured one of the goats. Checked the goats, everyone was ok, except Shadow, she was lying down with blood on her leg.

At first I didn't see any injury to her, and figured she was in premature labor and there must be a problem. Then she stood up..and I saw a gaping 4 inch split in the skin of her udder just above the teat! Yikes!! It was no longer bleeding much. But looked awful.

A bit later I found a broken mesquite branch, with blood and hair on it. Only thing we can figure is she got "implaled" on the broken branch. OUCH!!

The next day, she went into labor, over a 24 hour period, delivered 3 still born kids. They must have died soon after the trauma.
She appeared to be feeling better after the birthing. Was eating and drinking, but didn't get up much. We kept her warm and comfortable as best we could. The temperatures were in the teens at night here. We rigged up a heat lamp in the milking shed. It became the ICU.

But, Shadow passed away last Sat. night. Very peacfully in her sleep.
She knew she was a very loved goat!

Here she is while in labor. The kids were all stillborn.

RobinMaggiewShadowemail.jpg

On Saturday, she was basking in the sun for a bit.
Countess came to see how she was doing.

ShadiwCountessemail.jpg

She never lost her interest in food!

Shadoweating.jpg

Under the heat lamp with her young friend.

ElisabethandShadow.jpg

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}} I'm so sorry about your friend.. :( :hugs

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Sorry Rebbetzin, that truly is sad. She was one of my favorites of your goats :( :hugs

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I lost a goat 2 years ago. I have 2 does and I wish I had arranged breeding. Hope I'm not too late.
I'm scared I lose one of them from my own ignorance. Afraid I don't know about preventative care and such, but mine seems well for now. So sorry for your lose. It was so upsetting losing mine. I wasn't expecting it. Especially sad that she went thru so much and died anyway. I guess its easy to feel attached to them. They do seem to have so much more sense than my other animals.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So sorry :hugs She was beautiful, and I know from your posts over the years that she knew she was loved.

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So sorry to read about the death of all of them.So sad.