Safe to can or freeer jam???

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Ya'll know I don't do sugar. So coming up with good low sugar recipes for canning is tough sometimes. What I have on hand and what manufacturers want you to use are seldom the same :D

That being said, here is what I have mixed together in a big bowl...

4 cups rhubarb (cleaned out the freezer. This was left from last year)
1 lb sliced strawberries (fresh from the farmer's market)
1 cup erythritol
1/4 cup raw honey
A little Stevia Powder
Juice of 1 large lime
Splash of lemon juice
AND...if I can find my package... chia seeds

So would you feel confident water bath canning this or should I make freezer jam? The pectin I have is no sugar needed type, so no issues with the pectin. Just wondering if it is acid enough to not freak.

Thoughts?

I will also post another recipe later. I found some concord grapes hiding behind a ham. Gotta use those up too :D

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I'd say it's safe with the addition of the lime and lemon juice. It should be pretty acidic, enough to can at least.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
That's what I am hoping :fl

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
That's what I am hoping :fl
Well, strawberries are generally an acidic fruit too. I'm not familiar enough with rhubarb to know it's acidity, but personally, I would not worry about it, I would can it, due to all the lime juice adding to something I already know as acidic. I would be comfortable canning this and feeding it to my family. :hu

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Rhubarb is pretty acidic too. I went ahead and canned it. I will water bath it later because right now I almost melted just cooking the sauce. I wonder if that burner on the grill will work....

:D

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Rhubarb is pretty acidic too. I went ahead and canned it. I will water bath it later because right now I almost melted just cooking the sauce. I wonder if that burner on the grill will work....

:D
:thumbsup