Saffron Crocus

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Has anyone ever planted? I keep reading that they are more for zone 6 and higher but can be brought in to overwinter in zones such as mine. My concern is most places I have found do not ship until Aug/Sept so if planted right away and 1st frost in in Oct, I feel that I would just start getting plants when needing to pull the bulbs. Ultimately, I would like to find a place that would ship them early July or so I think, right?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Has anyone ever planted? I keep reading that they are more for zone 6 and higher but can be brought in to overwinter in zones such as mine. My concern is most places I have found do not ship until Aug/Sept so if planted right away and 1st frost in in Oct, I feel that I would just start getting plants when needing to pull the bulbs. Ultimately, I would like to find a place that would ship them early July or so I think, right?
I planted some in early November 2021. I thought it was too late, so I hope they come up in spring. I bought them from Bakers Creek.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I planted some in early November 2021. I thought it was too late, so I hope they come up in spring. I bought them from Bakers Creek.
Please let me know how they do! If they come up for you, I will plan on ordering some this year, I have a perfect open spot on top of a hill at the edge of the woods.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I've thought about it but I'm pretty sure they would drown here. Maybe in pots. They like drier areas.

that's what i found out too when i was ordering bulbs. i didn't get any also considering the fact that every critter likes to eat crocuses you will need to protect them really well. i have to fence, hunt and trap to keep any crocuses alive here.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I bought some from Baker Creek in October last year. The bulbs were already trying to grow when I went to plant them; I believe they bloom in September? I have them in pots on my front porch. I'm in zone 8/9, and they have been snowed on once. It melted within a day or two and all the bulbs seem fine so far.

Could you plant in containers and then move them into a garage or shed overwinter? Or cage off the bulb zone and fill the cage with straw or leaves to protect from frost/snow?

Latest posts