Salt: A World History

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
It's just the mineral content and the preparation methods gd :D

"Natural Celtic Sea Salts are a moist unrefined sea salt usually found on the coastal areas of France. Its light grey, almost light purple color comes from the clay found in the salt flats. The salt is collected by hand using traditional Celtic methods. Grey Salt has gained great fame in the mainstream culinary world in the last few years and is considered by many to be the best quality salt available. This natural products is obtained from traditional organic salt farmers, under the highest quality controls. The method used for gathering them follows a time-honored 2,000 year-old Celtic culture and tradition, supported and authenticated by modern Quality and Purity control establishments."

The pink sea salt is also good. Different flavor, different mineral composition.

http://www.saltworks.us/himalayan-plates-bricks-blocks.html

I want one of those slabs :drool

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
We have 50# of Celtic Sea Salt. It was considerable more, but I don't remember how much as it's been a while since it was ordered (somewhere in the $50 range, I believe).

ETA: We purchased the Sea Salt from Country Life Natural Foods, but the Celtic came from another source a couple of years ago.
If you can remember the source, I'd appreciate it....it generally runs $5-6 per pound.

We've done taste tests here with table salt, cheap "sea" salt, Celtic, Redmond, and home-made sea salt.

Grand Prize: Home made
Reserve: Celtic
Third: Redmond

The rest were dismissed from the competition. :p

Gardener77

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Here is a link for some real good salt.

It is for an eleven pound bag (@ $2.64/lb). If you call them, they may sell you a 50lb bag.

With shipping prices the way they are, I don't think you'll be able to get the real good stuff for less than less than about $2/lb.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I mostly use Kosher Salt in my pasta water. For finishing salt, I have a bunch of small containers - red, green, white, black, pink, fleur de sel, sel gris. DH and I try different kinds for different foods.

We don't use packaged foods much, and DH's actually *low* on sodium and chloride, so our doctor recommended we can be a bit more "free" with the salt shaker. I prefer the flavor and texture of the different salts.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
freemotion said:
k0xxx said:
We have 50# of Celtic Sea Salt. It was considerable more, but I don't remember how much as it's been a while since it was ordered (somewhere in the $50 range, I believe).

ETA: We purchased the Sea Salt from Country Life Natural Foods, but the Celtic came from another source a couple of years ago.
If you can remember the source, I'd appreciate it....it generally runs $5-6 per pound.

We've done taste tests here with table salt, cheap "sea" salt, Celtic, Redmond, and home-made sea salt.

Hey Free--Can you explain this? Is this ocean salt?

hiker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Emerald said:
JRmom said:
I've been thinking about salt too, and stocking up.

I remember reading a book as a kid, an end-of-the-world type book where everything was destroyed, and finding a salt flat was a big big deal for the characters.
I'll bet it was "Alas, Babylon" I can't remember who wrote it but I still have the book, we had to read it for school and I loved it so much I stole it!:ep
A man ends up with family and after the bombs go up they and their comunity find themselves isolated and alone.. they boat down to a big cove with salt and crabs to get salt to cure their meats with. If I remember correctly they were in Florida.
It is Alas Babylon. I did a book report on it my sophomore year of high school. I found that book totally fascinating. Now I would LOVE to have an isolated island to retreat too.

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
freemotion said:
k0xxx said:

Hey Free--Can you explain this? Is this ocean salt?
So I know this is kind of an older thread but I second that question, do you mean ocean salt? :idunno

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Wow, can't believe I missed that question. If this happens, someone email me. How rude of me!

I used water from the Atlantic ocean and the process is described in another thread.....I'll find the link now.

http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4489&p=1

And it is not rude to resurrect any older thread that you find interesting....
Thanks Free!