Salt cravings?

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
I have horrible salt cravings. :/ If it was not for hubby I would eat it straight from the shaker. Sooooo any ideas? I have heard everything from lacking minerals to pms. What can I do to break it?

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
urban dreamer said:
I have horrible salt cravings. :/ If it was not for hubby I would eat it straight from the shaker. Sooooo any ideas? I have heard everything from lacking minerals to pms. What can I do to break it?
Adrenals. If you under stress, then your adrenals are suffering.
You need real salt though.
Celtic Sea Salt, the stuff that is damp and needs grinding is the very best you can get.
Also, start eating more bananas for the potassium.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Meanwhile flavor things more with lemon juice. I had to quit eating so much salt :( I am a recovering saltaholic. I did lose 35 pounds though :D

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am a salt addict to the max yet my BP and all are fine so it sure hasn't bothered me.

and yes, I have tried my horse's salt lick, before he did...hahaha

if you do drink tons of water and sweat alot your body will be wanting some salt........I don't have "cravings" tho. I truly can do without it when I can't get a shaker in my hands, but I prefer the taste of salted foods.

if you are having "cravings" alot maybe you should hit the Dr. for some bloodwork or something like that if you have not been feeling well or ??
you know...if this is just part of you maybe not feeling good????

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
On the other hand, if you have cleaned up your diet and are not eating processed foods anymore, you may need salt. I found that I was getting weird dizzy spells and migraines in the mornings and finally figured out (due to someone here.....sorry, can't remember who it was! ) that I needed to add more salt, and when I got that feeling I'd just dip my finger in the salt bowl and eat it straight. The ill feeling would disappear. Just a thought.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I totally used to lick my mares salt lick. Whatever, they are herbivorous animals ;)

Now I switched to celtic sea salt, much better!!

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Get your adrenals tested. It can be a sign of them being weak.

If they are weak- more rest, decreasing the stress in your life, and very good nutrition will be a huge help. Do you tend to have Low blood pressure?