Salt from sea water, the stove-top version

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Do you have any idea where I can find a map of sea pollutants for my area. I would love to make my own salt. Have thought about it for some time. Thats one of the ways they did it in the old days. But any more. Every thing is polluted. Guess I will just have to find the least polluted spot to try to get water. Hope there is one close to me. So I dont have to travel too far..

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I couldn't find it myself, but you can call your local public library....or one nearby if they are not cooperative...and ask the research person to look for it for you. Don't call around the time that school gets out, though, as they are flooded with kids.

I noticed on my map that most of the pollutants were along the shoreline, so if you have a boat.....

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
DH is really coming along. Who says husbands can't be trained? :lol: We went to a wedding today on Cape Cod, and he let me bring four containers, five gallons each, and I filled them with ocean water and he hauled them up the beach, up three flights of stairs, and wrestled them into the trunk of our car. All while fielding questions from curious onlookers.

Oh, this wasn't at the wedding itself. We went to a beach near my aunt's house, where she is a member of the association so we could park at her house and walk down to the beach.

I will be straining and bringing all the water to a boil this week, then storing it in the cleaned containers until winter when the woodstove is going full-time again.

:woot

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
And that time has come, and the woodstove is going, and the 2010 salt project begins! :drool (I love salt!)

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I can hardly wait to start my own sea salt project. I have a fair idea as to where NOT to get my sea water. I hope I can talk SO into going to the beach real soon.

flossy

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Free, you are so full of useful info and ideas, I just love reading your threads!!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Wonder what my hubby would think of making our own salt?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Almost four gallons have gone through that one little roaster pan, and fleur de sel is forming on the top and white salt crystals are forming on the bottom. I am hoping to get the last gallon into this batch so I only have to make four batches, but I may be forced to finish this batch and make five or six batches. We will see how much salt my little pan can hold!

My dad is talking about taking my mom to Cape Cod (wonderful in off season...the beach is cold but wild and the ocean is rough and wonderful to watch from inside a warm kitchen!) and if they go, he will get me another supply of sea water.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am sooo jealous. Being land locked here...not even NEAR sea water. :(

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Learned a new term! I had to look up Fleur de sel. Neato!

Landlocked here too, so I just buy big bags of it from the bulk foods. Last time I bought, I got the larger crystals instead of the finely ground stuff. I've since found DD in the kitchen with the jar, snagging a few bits to suck on like candy. She loves the stuff!

This is just the coolest, free.