Salted cod/fish?

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
I have been going back over the Little House books for ideas, and am curious if anyone has ever salted fish for dry/shelf storage?
And this will require a thread all of its own, but I plan to make Hasty Pudding in a few days.
Will post about that when it happens.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
When I was a teen my folks had a friend who briefly had a business going to the shore to buy fish, then coming inland to sell it from his truck. Lotsa leftovers. Mom salted a LOT of fish. I'll see if she remembers (Alzheimer's) how she did it and how she stored it. We ate a lot of breaded and fried fish cakes.....yum! Homemade fishsticks, really.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
I have been going back over the Little House books for ideas, and am curious if anyone has ever salted fish for dry/shelf storage?
And this will require a thread all of its own, but I plan to make Hasty Pudding in a few days.
What's Hasty Pudding?

(and I better be hasty and get my rear back outside!)

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Marianne said:
Bubblingbrooks said:
What's Hasty Pudding?

(and I better be hasty and get my rear back outside!)
Something that looks absolutly yummy!
Will post on it another day. I must now rush to be ready to leave in a couple hours for our family day.

Neko-chan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
There's a salted codfish thing called bakala, and as far as I know, it lasts for freaking ever, so long as it remains dry.

However, it also takes a lot of soaking with multiple water changes to make it edible again.

I can't offer advice on how to make it, but I do know that it can be served in both a cream sauce and a red wine/tomato sauce.

It's also a family joke at home. :p

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Remember the SALT thread I started a while back after I read that book? There are links to old old cookbooks and I think there were recipes in those.

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
Freemotion, your not kiddingi love fishcakes and fishsticks..Hope your mom remembers...:) I've been bartering eggs for fish with a local poundtrap fishing family.I've been freezing some for later use, but don't like being dependant on freezers..I'm looking forward to your upcoming thread Bubblingbrooks on salted fish...Hope someone finds that thread your talking about Wifezilla..