Salvaging leeks gone to seed

Peony117

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
My inlaws gave me some small leek starts last year in spring. He had started them the fall prior. I planted. They didn't size up until this spring (now making them 1 1/2 years old). The plants I didn't harvest (quite a few) have now gone to seed. When I pulled one out I noticed it is forming 2 small bulbs (much like large garlic cloves) at the base of the stalk.
Has anyone ever planted these bulbs for plants next year? I read that plants from these bulbs might bolt sooner? I'm sure I can eat them, but was wondering about planting. And should I wait until the plant dies back like garlic before replanting?
Anyone done this?
Thanks

Justme

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hmm. I have some of the same problem. Spindly little leeks that bolted. I decided to let them go to seed and reseed the bed naturally and see what happens. In the mean time the honey bees are loving the flowers. I might have to check a few to see if they have bulbs.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
"Summer leeks" are harvested the year they were planted While Winter leeks are harvested the following spring-summer. Winters generally are larger with a stronger taste. I have never found any bulbs and the part you eat is not a bulb, just a bundle of leaves growing from the commobn roots. If the leaves don't die back after bloom {mine never did} they are still good to eat but usually a bit tougher and less sweet than before bloom. Not great keepers but can be canned or frozen. usually started from seed in greenhouse or cold frame.
the summer type are the usual in the USA, Winters more common in the moderate climate of the UK,

Peony117

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. These are not spindly at all, they are quite substantial. I think they are Musselbrough (I'm guessing the spelling here) and they are definitely an overwintering variety. The flower stalks are huge and I don't think there is much salvaging of the original leek. It's those strange bulblettes I'm curious about. I think they would re-sprout if I just left the plants in place but I want to move them.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I had to move some overwintered leeks, onions and garlic that never got harvested last year. They have almost all flowered, but since I am using them primarily to keep aphids away from my kale, I wasn't really worried about it. I'll have to check what's going on "down under"