Samssimonsays goat milking journey

samssimonsays

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Scarlet at 13 weeks fresh. I had finally gotten her up to almost half a gallon a day on two a day milking.
udders.JPG

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have found that they are FAR less inclined to jump once they are pregnant and especially when in milk. I keep Saanen & Nubian, plus crosses of same. They WILL go thru any fence holes they find. My two mini-nub does really don't try to jump out/onto/over anything. The kids become expert when playing and it takes a while to get them to "grow up" & stop.

One of this years kids, a beautiful doeling that I plan to keep, is such a HUGE jumper that I wonder exactly what will keep her inside. She doesn't go anywhere, except my farm but, not where I want her! Yesterday I watched her eyeing a fence to see if she could go over it! She looked, hunched down, just before propelling herself, she went to it & stood up on it, backed up....it was 5' wood slats. She had first tried to go thru, used to fit & now too big. Finally, she decided she would not make it over & looked for another escape. :rolleyes:

Also, found that the does you have made very friendly are easiest to milk -- at least give less resistance (trust!), especially if you begin while they are nursing AND when full, relief is sweet! Hobbles do help and are normally only needed to get used to the milking for short time (as you have stated -- few weeks). It isn't cruel, just think some extra hands to help hold her. Most are soft, Velcro type. Almost more of an issue has been trying to step away.... a wall on off side and my head or shoulder in their side while I milk has helped with that movement. Most stop and learn to enjoy it.

Last edited:

samssimonsays

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I agree! It is a matter of trust, training and an amicable relationship. Once you have that, you are usually golden but there will be bumps along the way.