sassafras root beer

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I dug up a little sassafras root. Does anyone have a recipe for fermented sassafras root beer? I used to have one but it got lost in the move. the roots smell so good, the whole house smells like root beer already.

IMG_20190202_121123591.jpg

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My bad. I meant dihydrogen monoxide .

Prolonged exposure to its solid form causes severe tissue damage. Symptoms of DHMO ingestion can include excessive sweating and urination, and possibly a bloated feeling, nausea, vomiting and body electrolyte imbalance. For those who have become dependent, DHMO withdrawal means certain death.

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I had no idea, lol! Learn something new every day...

From Wikipedia:
"The dihydrogen monoxide parody involves calling water by the unfamiliar chemical name "dihydrogen monoxide" (DHMO), or "hydroxylic acid" in some cases, and listing some of water's well-known effects in a particularly alarming manner, such as accelerating corrosion and causing suffocation. The parody often calls for dihydrogen monoxide to be banned, regulated, and labeled as dangerous. It illustrates how a lack of scientific literacy and an exaggerated analysis can lead to misplaced fears.

The parody gained renewed popularity in the late 1990s when a 14-year-old student, Nathan Zohner,[1] collected anti-DHMO petitions for a science project about gullibility.[2] The story has since been used in science education to encourage critical thinking and discussion of the scientific method.[3][4]"

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Have you ever made kimchi? I think it's a bit of an acquired taste. But, if you like any kind of spicy foods it's really tasty!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Right now I'm boiling the sassafras roots to make up quart jars to store in the refrigerator. I'll drink some as sassafras tea. The remainder will be used for making root beer. I need to make a bug first, in order to ferment the sassafras for root beer.
IMG_20190202_131919601.jpg