Satellite dish

DebFred

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hi All. I am totally new to forums. So if I sound stupid, or mess up, please forgive me. I am sorry in advance. When we bought our house a few years ago, it had one of those huge old style satellite dishes in the back yard. After four plus years of mowing around it, we are tired of it. We don't use it. What are some ideas to repurpose it? I had a man offer to take it off our hands for 250.00 dollars. Um, no. I know it can be sold for scrap. Would rather reuse it. It is the mesh type. Thanks!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
First, :welcome

Second, No stupid questions here :)

Third, I'd say it would be a decent cover for plants to keep chickens, deer, birds, etc out of them while they are growing. If it is what I am picturing that is....hope this helps.

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We had one on our property too when we bought the family property. I took the dish down and scraped it. The post we will use for a solar panel holder someday. Right now it is used for a corner post to the chicken area. :) D

Welcome to the site :)

DebFred

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I am considering raising chickens for eggs. Also, thinking about rabbits for food. I bet we could use it that way somehow as well.

Andy J

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Several years ago,I found one in a roadside dump near my home.I pulled it out of the weeds with my truck and took it apart.The mesh was fastened on with self-tapping screws,which I removed and kept.I made several cages out of the mesh and reused the screws also.

DebFred

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Man, I wish I could see pictures of the cages you made. Would they work for a run for chickens or cages for rabbits? Hubby is quite mechanical and I like to learn as well.:)

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
They make a nice aviary for Quail or Chickens when the dome is the roof mounted on posts. The round structure looks nice.

DebFred

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wouldn't rain get through the meshing? Or could you seal it somehow?

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Could you make a gazebo with a domed roof? Or take the mesh off and make a clothes line out of the frame? I have seen square ones, with lots of lines in it. Put waterproofing spray-on rubber (or something) on it, invert in the ground in a hole, and keep koi and water lilies in it? Make a patio umbrella out of it?

DebFred

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have actually thought about a small pond out of the dish. But since we are trying to get more selfsufficient, I want to use it as a resource or what ever. I love the idea of the clothes line, and also the idea of a chicken coop. The roof any way. I am so loving this forum stuff so far!! A lot of people who think like I do. (That could be scary...):D