Satellite Internet,..Is it worth it??

newmochick

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have had wildblue for the last 2 1/2 years (cable isn't an option :( ). It isn't as fast as cable but better than dial up. Once you have had cable, everything is slow. It is about equal to Verizon wireless- my son uses when he comes and visits, which may be another option to consider.

When the weather is bad you will lose service, just like satellite tv. I find it faster during the day than at night so I do my time consuming activities (shopping, etc.) during the day. If you watch videos, you have to have patience with the pausing.

Because of my internet business I have the high "volume" usage, whatever they call it. May consider buying the lowest package and see if it fits your needs. If not, you can change your plan. The only drawback is that you have to sign a 2 year contract?

Everytime I see a cable guy in the area and ask how long it will be until they string a line down my street!

Do you know others in your area that have it? May really be area specific - how far you are away from their towers.

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
newmochick said:
Do you know others in your area that have it? May really be area specific - how far you are away from their towers.
Hughesnet and Wild Blue don't have towers. They are satellite systems, just like Dish and DirecTV.

newmochick

Power Conserver
Reaction score
For us technology challenged individuals, sorry I misspoke - they are called gateways. According to the wildblue website, a gateway consists of microwave, Internet and other broadband equipment that routes traffic from your PC to the internet.

My gateway (one of 11 in the country) is located in southern MO. If there are weather issues in southern MO, my connection is slower even though I don't have any weather issues where I am (northern MO).

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Maybe that explains it. I was wondering what I had a "clear line of sight" TO if there are no towers.

All I know is I have a tall thingee on my roof, not a dish, and it has a straight line to something and I'm supposed to be on satellite. :)

Maybe it wouldn't be as fast as it is if I lived ten miles from here with different equipment. I'm just glad I can watch all the tv and YouTube and such I want for $30 a month as well as Internet and cell phone reception. :)