Sausage and jerky recipes

D1

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I am always looking for new ideas in the kitchen I need some sausage recipes as I have a meat grinder and venison just need some seasoning ideas for sausage and jerky.

opiemaster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hello D1, I have been making my own venison sausage for years, what kind are you looking for? Summer? brats? breakfast? . The best kerky I have made that everyone loves is the simplest. Cut strips of venison or whatever (no fish or pork) with the grain in flat strips,around 1/4 inch think. no more than that though. salt lightly on both sides and pepper on both sides. put it in the dehydrator for about 6-8 hours. depends on moisture content, you will know when its done. Hide it though if you want it to last any amount of time it seems to go quickly. I put it in a mason jar with lid. It stores fotr a long time. ;)

D1

Power Conserver
Reaction score
opiemaster said:
Hello D1, I have been making my own venison sausage for years, what kind are you looking for? Summer? brats? breakfast? . The best kerky I have made that everyone loves is the simplest. Cut strips of venison or whatever (no fish or pork) with the grain in flat strips,around 1/4 inch think. no more than that though. salt lightly on both sides and pepper on both sides. put it in the dehydrator for about 6-8 hours. depends on moisture content, you will know when its done. Hide it though if you want it to last any amount of time it seems to go quickly. I put it in a mason jar with lid. It stores fotr a long time. ;)
the sausage will be smoked and breakfast first then maybe brat and summer eventually.

opiemaster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
OK, This year I made 2 kinds of sausage. Both I say are breakfast.

The first one is as follows;
3. 1/2 lbs ground venison
1 1/2 lbs bacon ends ( I get these from wal-mart, but other grocers may carry them, they come in 3 1/2 lb packages and work great when the
recipie calls for the addition of pork to venison recipies.)
2 tbsp black pepper
2 tsp salt
2 tsp mustard seed
1/2 cup of cold water.
Mix the venison and pork together in a big bowl, mash/mix together by hand.
Mix the dry ingrediants in a separate glass. gently sprinkle 1/2 on the meat, mix completely by hand and then repeat.
Then pur the wator on the bowl and mix again by hand making sure the meat and spices are completely mixed.
You the can either stuff into cassings or put in 1 lb packages for patties.

2 1/2 lbs.ground venison
1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
1 lb. ground bacon ends
2 tbsp. white pepper
1 tbsp. salt
2 tsp. ground cummin
1 tsp cayenne pepper
add water if needed.
Follow same rules as above with mixing the meat and recipies.
stuff in casings or 1 lb packages for patties.
Both of these made a fine sausage and are fairly simple to make.

I got these from the "Deer Shack Wild Game Recipies " cookbook that I purchased off Ebay. I bought most of my venison cookbooks from there and have a TON of GREAT recipies.

When you are ready to try Brats, let me know. I have a great recipie for that as welll.

Good luck!;)

D1

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I prefer HOT sausage, so #2 will be used on the next batch I make

Thanks

Latest posts