Save energy and money with a whole house fan!

BrianS925

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I just had a whole house fan installed in my house a few months ago and it's hands down the most effective energy efficient appliance i have in my house! I was paying over 500$ a month on pg&e and after I installed this fan I barely use my A/C anymore which cut my energy bill a month down to about 200$ a month! The fan I have is the quietest, most durable and effective fan on the market backed with a ten year warranty! I'm so blessed to have this in my home now! Please ask questions or leave comments good or bad about your own fan or thoughts about getting one.

Justme

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Would you mind sharing the brand, make, model and price. We have an attic fan and I will agree it definately helps but quiet - not a chance. We use ours winter and summer or really fall and spring . In the fall we turn it on when the temp outside is higher than the inside to help bring in the warmth usually mid day to early afternoon. Many do not think to turn on a fan to draw in the warm air. And in the spring early morning or late night to bring in the cooler air.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Brian, glad to hear of your satisfied experience and good service from that unit. Thanks for posting.

Our forum membership ranges from semi-tropical South, to arid Southwest, to up north (where I am) in the temperate forest zone. It's always good to mention your location and the type of climate that's typical where. you are. Give us some hint as to what sort of exterior/interior temps you're mediating and taking advantage of.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I remember having an attic fan when I was a kid. We didn't have AC and the attic fan was our only respite from the heat. If it is really hot and you are having trouble sleeping, just before you get in bed, spray mist the sheets with water. Turn the fan on and the evaporation of the water will make for cooler sleeping.

BrianS925

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Haha Thank you Joel, good point and noted! I live in the Bay Area about 45 minutes to a hour East of San Fransisco. The weather here is amazing most of the year. The summers get very warm and throughout the whole year we have very warm days for semi long periods of time. Where I live these whole house fans are a lifesaver for someone like me who is scared to leave their A/C running without closely keeping my eye on the clock and how long it's been on for lol.
They're awesome for getting odors from cooking cleared out of my house too. In ten minutes the air in my house has been cycled through the house up into the attic and pushed out of the attic back outside twice. So no question my house always stays very comfortable and fresh.

I was at a Home Show in San Jose when I bought my unit Justme.
It's a 30" fan
Has 6 aerodynamic balanced blades that's their own design.
A high powered motor that takes up as much energy as a household light bulb.

The motor is internally lubricated from factory so there's no maintenance required and can handle extreme temperatures up to 200 degrees.
So the top of line motor and design of the fan is what makes it so quiet. My TV and kids are no doubt louder than the fan lol.
I've tried to find these fans on the open market and they're just not available at stores.
I posted a picture of it so you can see for yourself. You can clearly tell if this fan was a car it would be the Mercedes of fans and make any other loud fan look like a clunker.

At the home show just for being there they took $300 off the regular $1795 price. I bought a couple extra as a bundle and got a killer deal on them knowing friends or family would take them off my hands. If your interested I'm open minded with bartering up a fair trade :) I'd totally be willing to install it if needed too. I just signed up to this site last night and love it! I've gotten a lot of great ideas from people on here so if I can help someone out with saving energy and money I'm all for it!

Between using power sparingly, growing my own vegetables, carpooling and recycling for the last 5 years when I bought my first home my life has been very manageable and affordable making my own self at peace and stress free :)

Feel free to message me, respond to post, tell a friend or whatever you see fit thanks. Hopefully this short story wasn't to boring haha.

BrianS925

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Good deal baymule thanks for the share. These fans are truly great just like how your story shares that with us. Not to sound like a one upper I just love how this fan is designed for great performance and it being so quiet blows my mind because to a lot of people including myself at first the fan looks very intimidating hahahaha!

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
BrianS925 said:
Hopefully this short story wasn't to boring haha.
Not boring. Thanks for the detail, Brian.

Please post a personal intro. Tell us about yourself. Welcome.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
My aunt used to live North of San Fransisco-San Rafael.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I love, love our whole house fan!

I live in an area that there are only 6 weeks of windows being open. The rest of the time we have our a/c or heat on. But that fan has pulled air through the house like crazy every time we've used it.

Have I welcomed you yet? :frow

BrianS925

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Ya Marianne they're pretty amazing :)

I'm not used to this site yet and where I should write something about myself so I'll do it here.. I'm Brian, I'll be 28 in June and have a beautiful almost 5 year old daughter. I work for a public transportation system kinda like the subway system here in the bay area that's called Bart. I own a little home that suites my needs, grow all my own vegetables run solar for power and am in a social club here in my hometown that volunteers in our community to clean parks up with young kids.