Save the Stinky Fridge!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Another option may be an ozone candle. A specialty candle shop may carry them or you can order online. I've heard amazing things about ozone candles.

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I agree try all of these one after the other, it is bound to work. I have done the vinegar before and it worked great.

I have used the newspaper in ice chests and it worked great. I haven't tried the charcoal though.

When I was a very young and inexperienced mother, I had this happen and it wasn't until I talked to my mother after triying everything I could think of that she asked if I had cleaned the drip tray. I didn't even know fridges had a drip tray!! I took it out and it was FULL of water and SCUM!! That was what the whole problem was. Once that was clean, no more smell.
Monica

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Tell her to look underneath it, in every crevice she can find. There may be a drip tray of some sort down there, especially if it's an older fridge. Somewhere there's something lurking, I don't think wiping down the inside is going to do any more good. Air flows through the body of a fridge, so it's somewhere behind the interior that the stinky mess lurks!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Depends on the wording of your lease. Some apartments and homes come with appliances but will include a line about being the rentors obligation to pay for repairs, cleaning and maintenance on these appliances, as they are the one using them. I know my lease states this.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
enjoy the ride said:
Maybe I'm missing something but isn't this the landlord's problem to fix?
Well, if I had a choice of finding what stunk in my fridge vs. waiting for the landlord to 'get rountuit' I'd do it myself, first ;). If nothing worked, then I'd involve the landlord.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
You folks would literally fall over and DIE if you saw the fridge that came with my rental home! :th

It is tiny(efficiency apartment size), not frost free..so the freezer door is always frozen over or about to, all the plastic inside is so old and brittle that I can't wipe it down without breaking off a piece of it! All the shelving on the door is missing because of this breakage and the insulation is showing from the inside of the door. The seal is so old that we have to be really careful about closing it or the next time you open it, you will find that the freezer has started defrosting all over the fridge and everything is warm and in a pool of water! :p The crisper drawer is just a drawer...no crispy about it, as it just hangs loose on the track.

I don't like it but the fridge is just the right size to fit into a niche that appears to be built just for it....no other fridge will fit into the niche...too wide and too tall. So....now you know what kind a fridge can come in a rental unit....and this is one of the GOOD ones! :D

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
It is possible that there was a power outage (or the electric having been turned off) and a buncha food went real, real bad in there once upon a time. That would not be all that rare in an apartment.

If it is too bad there may not be much that can be done, but in addition to the previously suggested things, I have had good luck (in dorm size fridges and in coolers) with:

-haul it outside, fling the door wide open or remove it, and let the sun beat down on it for as many days as you can stand. Obviously this is not practical with a full size fridge but if it's a compact unit it may be doable. Sun cures many things.

-get one (or several) of those 'volcanic rock deodorizer' sachet thingies. Like from walmart or home depot or wherever. Looks like popcorn-sized grey rocks in a plastic mesh bag. They really work surprisingly well. For fridge problems you will have to recharge them FREQUENTLY for some while (involves salt water and sun) so save the packaging that explains how to do it!

Good luck to your friend,

Pat

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Landlords are not responsible for refrigerators, only stoves.
They must supply a stove in any rental,but not a frig.
When I had apartments neither one came with a frig.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Boy is my information out of date- it has been about 30 years ago since I rented anything but they always had working appliances and I always expected the landlord to maintain them.