Saving Money on Food

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Well I think that I am going to try the one that Gina mentioned....Can't hurt and it sounds like you get more variety than the Angel program.

I do agree with some others.... that cooking from scratch and buying on sale is probably the best savings idea.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
If you can talk to a manager from your supermarket or someone that works in the produce dept (my uncle) you can often get produce that is expired or starting to go downhill (aka, not pretty enough to be on a shelf anymore) for nothing. This is how I get extra treats for my birds and sometimes you can get stuff that you just have to cut out a bad spot or peel off a few bad leaves, etc.

It never hurts to ask....just tell them it's for your chickens!!! They'll never know if you eat some of it too!!! ;)

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I have thought of that Lori but to be honest, I don't think I am that bold! I have been meaning to ask for damaged produce at my FM and still have not got up the nerve! I think I am a bit of a weenie!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
f you can talk to a manager from your supermarket or someone that works in the produce dept (my uncle) you can often get produce that is expired or starting to go downhill
I have tried this at several stores to get greens for my ducks. All were a no go. They all gave some liability excuse.

The Vail Benton's

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
At our local grocery store it just depends on who you ask... we have been told no on occassion too, but there have been times when we've gone home with up to 3 boxes of BEAUTIFUL produce for our pigs that was just being thrown away anyway. It saddens me to think that swiss chard, spinach, broccoli, tomatos, etc some of which was labeled organic... with nothing wrong with it that I can see, gets tossed. I felt bad giving it to my pigs knowing that there are children going to bed hungry in the country I live in. What a waste. I chalk it up to the litigious society we have become.