Saw this on a church bulletin board

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
"He who dies with the most toys is still dead"

Makes you think twice about keeping up with the Joneses, huh?

Just something to think about.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
but .... might have had tons more fun while living.

LOL-LOL

alot of toys is not a bad thing to me. I think if you can afford some toys then have at it cause life is meant to be enjoyed. but if you can't afford those things, they should not be drooled after, should not stop one from having a blast and enjoy life.

To me it is just being happy with what you want to own in life, or choose to own in life....how you want to live. It will never be the same for everyone.

just me thinking...could be a bad thing..HA HA HA

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
:D I know what you mean...I think it is just a reminder that you can't live your life in the pursuit of things. If it makes your quality of life better and you can afford it then go for it but don't make your whole existence about accumulating the biggest best latest greatest stuff when the stuff you have is perfectly good. I liken it to a single person living in a 6000 sq ft house with 6 or 8 cars and rooms full of stuff. What's the use, to have a bunch of stuff for the sake of saying "Look at all this great stuff I have"

I think people like that also tend to have less meaningful relationships and be more wasteful and less thoughtful of others.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
My DH has a shirt that says that.

We used to buy alot of toys and we enjoyed them. Now, our priorities have changed. We pay more attention to the simple things like growing a garden, canning and chickens.

We don't take as many vacations as we used to. We still enjoy camping and spending time with family and friends.

I think it's because we have become comfortable and happy with life. To us, things aren't important any more.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea that makes sense.
when you are younger, hit the road of life, you want stuff. you want to buy things, experience things, etc. but then that "age" of turn comes for most of us.....this "stuff" we chased now means pain in the butt time....payments, maintenance costs, etc. etc...LOL

strange how when younger your just clammer for excitement and toys and such, then boom, give me simple...I can't handle so much stuff anymore in my life--:p

kstaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have known a lot of people along the way with all the toys and they where far more miserable than those struggling to make ends meet.

I guess it all comes down to being happy with yourself. If your not all the toys in the world will not change a thing.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
:barnie Don't even mention the word toys to me right now :barnie :barnie

My husband blew up his snowmachine on Thursday...$400 to repair it. Since my boys have no idea how to enjoy themselves with out skidoos it had to be fixed the same day...
THEN! My son blew up his machine on Friday...yup, THE VERY NEXT DAY! and that one is a $1000 fix.
I told dh hwe were NOT doing it, they could share a machine this year. He got angry with me for two days...then mentioned who brings the income in here, and went out and bought another machine for $1500 today! :th
The machine he bought came in peices...and the engine has to be put in it....they have to take a bunch of parts off the origional machine that blew up..."but it is going to be a GREAT machine when it's done" Ya right :smack

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I will do this with and for you Morel

:th :barnie :he

I know. Tony went to the pawn shop to scope out some used good chainsaws...what did he see.....a speed buggy thingy car contraption. Yea, all excited, would be fun to use at the barn, yea only $1800 almost new it would be $4K or something.......I gave the look and said FORGET IT!

I give him points for trying though...LOL

I know...BIG SIGH!!!!