SC wants their own currency!

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
I really don't think the currency thing would work. Mostly because we are a nation made of states. Each state supplies different stuff. So the states would all have to do commerce with each other. Having different currencies just wouldn't work. It could have in the very beginning, but back then the states all needed and relied on a central government, just like they do now. Secession is not a realistic idea and is just used by extremist to incite people.

philpatton

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I know that a lot of folks are buying PM so that when everything goes south they will be able to buy what they need/want.

IMO there are a couple/three problems with that.

What will the value of the PM be when things go south. The value will be what someone is willing to pay/exchange for it.

A lot of folks are getting into PM after taking a free seminar and think that they are going to make a killing. The problem is that a lot of the institutions that they are buying from have over sold or are selling gold/silver plated corns never knowing the difference.

IMO it makes a whole lot more sense to buy and store what you will need now while the supplies exist and are affordable. Then when all of these folks with their pockets lined with PM are walking around trying to buy supplies we can sit back and survive.

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ok. I feel stupid.

What does PM mean..

I thought PM ment Private Message.. So how could you buy that. LOL

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sunny said:
Ok. I feel stupid.

What does PM mean..

I thought PM ment Private Message.. So how could you buy that. LOL
Maybe "Precious Metal"?

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
philpatton said:
I know that a lot of folks are buying PM so that when everything goes south they will be able to buy what they need/want.

IMO there are a couple/three problems with that.

What will the value of the PM be when things go south. The value will be what someone is willing to pay/exchange for it.

A lot of folks are getting into PM after taking a free seminar and think that they are going to make a killing. The problem is that a lot of the institutions that they are buying from have over sold or are selling gold/silver plated corns never knowing the difference.

IMO it makes a whole lot more sense to buy and store what you will need now while the supplies exist and are affordable. Then when all of these folks with their pockets lined with PM are walking around trying to buy supplies we can sit back and survive.
I would feel safe with the whole PM thing if I had some from when it was down. I remember back around 80-81 or so. Gold went from around 100 to 400 an ounce and there was a big buying spree. Then it came back down to around 200. I'm always afraid of being the one that buys high.

I look at the Japanese right now and see a situation that is actually feasible here. Not the earthquake and tsunami obviously. That could happen of course but it wouldn't effect the whole country directly. I'm talking about the rationing. They are waiting in long,long lines to buy items at the local stores and are limited to 10 items each. Their society is structured around patience and close quarters. They don't have the whole get out of my space thing going on. I can't even imagine taking 1000 Americans and asking them to stand in line for 10 items at the store or to give their water to the elderly and children. I would say that 7 out of 10 people would, but the other 3 would probably start a fight about it.

So what I'm trying to say is that a pocket full of gold or silver won't do them much good. Next time they will have drums of water and rice stored away just in case.