Scalloped potatoes - cheddar substitute?? Help!

booker81

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Gah! I want to make scalloped potatoes, but don't have cheddar. I have mozz, parmesean and that strange stuff my husband and child like "Processed Cheese Food" (aka American cheese slices).

Any quick ideas for a tasty substitute? I'm pretty much unlimited on herbs and spices (maybe mozz with some paprika and a little chili powder for a kick to hide the noncheddarness?

:D

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Goodness, use whatever you've got, singly or in combination -- it will be quite good no matter what :) Seriously. (Well, I wouldn't use a really strooong cheese like a blue cheese, not in any big quantity anyhow)

I usually do that sort of dish with whatever cheese I a) happen to have on hand and b) is kind of drying around the edges or otherwise-needing to get used up soon, and no complaints :)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm not a very imaginative cook (sorry!) but I'd make a white sauce with the parmesan, maybe with some garlic...kinda like an alfredo sauce. :)

booker81

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Well, I found some cream cheese, I think I'll mix em all up (cream cheese, mozz, and parm), put some paprika in, and make the cheese sauce like that.....three cheese potatoes! (Or something like that)....

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
And are there leftovers, and do we get some? Leftover scalloped/gratineed potatoes make really good breakfast food :)

Pat

booker81

Power Conserver
Reaction score
It turned out really good!!!

Lets see... I sliced up the taters, and melted about 3-4Tbs of butter on the stove, and mixed in about 3-4Tbs of flour. I slowly added some milk and whisked away until I had about 2 cups of milk in. Added the block of cream cheese, some paprika, some turmeric, then about a cup of mozz cheese. I think I put some garlic salt in there too.

Layered the sauce and the taters in the casserole dish, topped with some mozz, and baked at 350 for an hour.

Hubby loved it :) I think he ate half the dish.

Success!!