scaly leg mites

lalaland

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
in the last couple of weeks someone mentioned their remedy for scaly leg mites - now I can't find it.

I've had this problem with chickens for a couple of years ever since I brought some hens into my flock from an outside source - thought I had it licked but it showed up again.

I have treated with ivermectin (yup, the really bad stuff) - and tried all the usual remedies (bag balm, vaseline, oiled roosts, goat lice spray on the coop walls, floors, egg nests, etc, vet-r-x, de, deep cleaning and deep cleaning and dang it, deep cleaning.

I think it comes back from the wild birds - they love the dustbathing area under the coops - and I do add pyerthrin the one from bugs, not the bad one...

anyone here ever lick this problem for once and for all?

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I keep fighting it also. I also think the wild birds keep bringing them around.
So I just continue to be vigilant and attack from all different angles.

I think having a dustbath area made of wood ashes has helped a bit. I have a large plastic bin, with low sides (no more than 3") that I keep filled with wood ashes.
But it is not a cure.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I had the same problem from hand me down birds and I used all the oils, ointments, etc. that people recommended and they didn't work. I didn't use any chemicals, though.

Finally, I found Nu-Stock at my feed store and gave it a try. It worked the first time around and the mites have not been back. It is mineral oil, pine tar and sulfur. Stinks and is a bit thin and goopy but it worked quickly and completely without needing a second application.

I find it to be a real handy thing to have around when you have animals....good for wounds, skin irritations, fungally things. Good for hair or feather reqrowth.

Look up the website and you will be amazed at the sheer number of testimonials on this stuff....the before and after pics are the best. Dogs with hot spots, eczema, fungally ears, etc.

lalaland

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
you know Beekissed, I have heard of nustock but never seen it . I will do a websearch. I'ld be up for anythign that would work.

I don't like giving the ivermectin, but last time it was bad, that was the only thing that worked.

and Farmer Denise, thanks for the idea of the wood ash dustbath. It is just about time to clean out the wood stove, and I can dump all those ashes into the dust area under the trailer - it is mostly frozen right now, and not much loose dirt.

on the other hand, when the snow starts to melt, it gets a little muddy under there. does water plus wood ash = lye?