School cafeteria cannot serve vegetables kids grow

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I donated 4 dozen eggs to Social Services to give out to low-income folks. You should have seen the papers I had to sign to protect all & sundry from liability. It was like buying a house. :rolleyes:

What do you suppose they suspected those kids were doing with their produce...??

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Good grief. How ridiculous! I can say though, that using fresh produce from the gardne would require cafeteria workers to actually cook the food instead of opening cans and heating it up. :rolleyes:

You know, this makes me think how cool it would be to have an actual school that teaches skills like gardening, raising animasl for meat, processing animals, etc. You know, but teaches other stuff too. :lol: Maybe they already have those, but I haven't heard of them.

My sister and I have talked about opening a daycare where we do those sorts of things with the kids. Well, maybe not processing the animals, but gardening and doing chores and stuff.

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
Good grief. How ridiculous! I can say though, that using fresh produce from the gardne would require cafeteria workers to actually cook the food instead of opening cans and heating it up. :rolleyes:

You know, this makes me think how cool it would be to have an actual school that teaches skills like gardening, raising animasl for meat, processing animals, etc. You know, but teaches other stuff too. :lol: Maybe they already have those, but I haven't heard of them.

My sister and I have talked about opening a daycare where we do those sorts of things with the kids. Well, maybe not processing the animals, but gardening and doing chores and stuff.
I've heard of summer schools that do that.

hillfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This is the norm. Public schools are in it to make money. Bottom line. It is NOT about the education, Standardized testing proves that. It is not about health, the school lunches are not nutrious. Nacho chips with cheese sauce and meat and a gatorade is not balanced. Yet it is an approved lunch. It disgusting.
Kids come half a day twice so the school keeps its money for the day, rather than giving one whole day off. Works great for the working parent, NOT.
People, you have to get involved and demand better for your kids. Its your tax dollar. Its being used to make the numbers so the administration can brag and get reelected cuz they cut the budget. Administration pay is outrageous compared to teachers and support staff. Yet, that's not discussed.
Teachers foot the bill for printing paper, xeroxing and just basic supplies needed to make a class work. Large school districts have reduced down to two xerox machines in the entire building. demanding teachers not buy their own printers because of the districts contract with xerox.
The deals your admin cuts with business is to make a profit for the school. They require certain perks such as no other food, printers, drinks etc.

It wont change till more people speak out against it.

mandieg4

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
My mom owns a daycare in Idaho and she gardens with the kids. She always makes all her meals from scratch too, homemade whole-wheat bread every day, smoothies from fresh fruits and veggies for snack several times a week, and no processed crap. They are the best fed kids in the state!

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well all the Greens have had their say. Do you have any idea of the number of schools that are built on "Brownfields"? Brownfields are former industrial sites that are recycled for new uses. the most famous was the Love Canal. a fairly decent chemical dump with a clay system which would have held the chemicals safely, all tightly sealed and turned over to local authority to be used as a park. Well some smart person decided that this perfectly empty land could be put to better use. Build a school and sell the un-needed land for development to reduce the taxpayer bill for the school a modern Win-Win. That became a eco-disaster.
Even out in the country you can have things like this. A new school built on an old Apple orchard. Guess what was sprayed on apples for pest control back in the day Arsenic! Still there after all these years at 4 times the levels currently considered safe!
This is one reason a good Organic Certification Program doesn't just take your word that no prohibited substance has been used recently, but requires tests of soil and water to be sure they are safe now. Yep sometimes vendor agreements screw the use of garden produce and some times it really does need to be avoided.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
They just built a new development in Colorado Springs on a pile of mine tailings ( * insert face - palm ).

While this does happen, a majority of schools are not built on brownfields. In Northern WI where I am from most are built on old farm land.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
But rules created by CPS and its meals supplier, Chartwells-Thompson, prevent that from happening.
I suspect this is the real problem. Not that kids can't be trusted to grow "real" food like agribusiness can.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
What gets me is because I am not allowed to donate home baked, grown or made goods to my kids school they expect cash instead. Not going to happen. Grrrrr!!!

Wifzilla I had to stash a copy of that Star Trek photo. It will come in handy!!!

Thanks, g

Latest posts