SCOBY ISSUES

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Darn, I just divided mine last night and threw the older ones into the compost.
A couple more weeks and I should have new baby scobys if anyone still wants one.
Mmmm hot algae tea sounds... Disgusting! :lol:

navajo001

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Use black tea and let it cool to room temp before introducing the scoby. It is a live colony and heat will damage it......also, yes, you need to acidify the tea so mold will be less likely to grow.

Once you get it going, take a healthy spare scoby and fold it up and put it into a jar with some filtered water, put the date on it, and stick it in your fridge. Then you will have a spare if needed. Switch it out with a fresh one now and then to always have that security blanket.

I kill my scobys and my kefir grains regularly. :p It is good to have the spares in the fridge/freezer (dried kefir grains in the freezer.)

I'd offer some, but I have not been good about getting things out this rough year. Too much going on, too many distractions. Sorry....
GOTCHA! Thanks for the tips. I hear you about the rough year. Hope it smooths out for you (us) soon!

navajo001

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
Darn, I just divided mine last night and threw the older ones into the compost.
A couple more weeks and I should have new baby scobys if anyone still wants one.
Mmmm hot algae tea sounds... Disgusting! :lol:
COMPOST?!?! Well dig it out and scrape off the chunks and send it on! :gig

Now, you KNOW you want some hot algae tea. It's good for what ails you!

Latest posts