Score! Antique store finds!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
:weee We went to a new antiques and collectibles store in town today to poke around, and I came home with another Griswold skillet in PERFECT condition for $8!!!! Now I can have two going at the same time and make all the grilled cheese sandwiches at once. Or maybe I will make pizzas on them in the oven!

I also have been wanting a new drying rack, and I found one that folds up. When it opens, it has three legs and on top is a cool piece of hardware, cast aluminum, that holds twelve 2' hardwood dowels that can be opened up like spokes on a wheel. You can open out one dowel, or any number of them.

Two dowels were missing, so we stopped at the hardware store and got a 48"dowel for $0.77 and a couple of washers for $0.11 each so now it will be in perfect working order. Easy to fix anything that gets broken, too. Woohoo!

The owner told me he just bought a barn from a retiring collector that is full of antiques and junk. He had me fill out a card with my wish list....so I put any Griswold or Wagner cast iron, but especially a dutch oven with a lid and a large skillet to replace my Lodge. WOOHOO!!!!

Dad had a great time pointing out things that his mother had and used. A gigantic wooden bowl used to press the water out of washed butter, and a large churn with a crank handle on the side....he mimicked his mother pushing him to crank harder and faster....she filled big crocks with butter all summer long. I reminded him that the reason I didn't respond with joy when he discovered a hand-cranked ice cream maker was because it gave me flashbacks of being told sternly to crank harder and faster! :lol:

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
:ya WOOT Free!!! Great finds!! :weee

My mom has been dealing antiques for 40 + years. Everything in our house had a price tag on it, and it may or may not be there next week. She delt in heritage antiques and folk art. :love

I love antiques and swiped a bunch from our house before I left home. I especially love useful antiques. :) I have a great little red hand cranked juicer from the 50's (my 80 year old mother doesn't think it is quite an antique just yet, :p but it is to me!) I use that little sucker almost every week. I have a pair of hay hooks (hand made too) from the turn of the century that I couldn't live without.

Oh, what a great thread free!! :thumbsup

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I :love my Griswold skillets!!!

Great score Free!! :celebrate :celebrate

lalaland

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
brown hojrse, this might be a silly question, but...what do you use the hay hooks for? (I'll feel pretty dumb if you say ....hay...). I have 3-4 that came in a box from an auction, but it is easier for me to just haul the hay - am not usually moving more than a couple of bales at a time.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Lala, you are right, just hay. The hay bales up here are 115# each!! So to get one off the top (10 ft high sometimes) the hay hooks work great. I couldn't live without them. My daughter dropped one behind the stacks of hay and I went nuts trying to find it. :/

Texas hay I could pick up in one hand, about 50# or less each.

They are fun to pretend you are Captain Hook too. :p

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i wasnt sure what griswold was and did a search for them and found a large antique griswold skillet listed for $550.00 not sure if it was a typo or not but the site i went to had alot of griswold and a few wanger skillets and they were proud of them so i say an 8 dollar investment could turn into big bucks if it is the right type. Good find, now fry up some white meat and eggs and celebrate :weee

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
firem3 said:
i wasnt sure what griswold was and did a search for them and found a large antique griswold skillet listed for $550.00 not sure if it was a typo or not but the site i went to had alot of griswold and a few wanger skillets and they were proud of them so i say an 8 dollar investment could turn into big bucks if it is the right type. Good find, now fry up some white meat and eggs and celebrate :weee
:ep