SCORE! guinea eggs!!

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Got my paper this morning and saw that someone I knew had guinea eggs for sale so I called and asked how much he wanted for them. He was asking $10.00 a doz and had 5 doz. But since I have bought and sold so much with him I could have them for $20.00. So I went to get them and not only did he give me the 5 doz guinea eggs he gave me 2 doz americana eggs and 6 doz out of his big flock of red and black hens covered by americana and turken roos. Been wanting americanas and turkens! SCORE!

And adult guineas sold at the hillbilly auction for $22.00 each for pairs. Haven't forund any local chicks for sale yet, but have seen LOTS of ads looking for guinea chicks. Might make some money back if I sell some.

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
WOW!! COOL!!! :thumbsup Hope you have room to hatch all that! 13 doz. is A LOTof egg! (156!)

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My incubator will hold 288 chicken eggs, or 1200+ quail eggs. I have never had it completely full.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Awesome score, tff6! :cool:

I love my guineas, but am just about over them! Started with 7 keets in October '09 and am down to 3 birds because they have this infatuation with the highway as opposed to the 17 acres of woods we live on. :rolleyes: The only time they go into the woods is when I don't want them to...as in I'm heading to the blackberry or ginseng patch. :barnie

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yes, not the brightest bulbs in the box! But the ticks have been horrable already this year. And they were bad last year. So I am hoping to get rid of them. I will keep them cooped up till I can tell the males from the females and turn most of the males loose. I have as many as I want to sell sold. Hoping I can find more of them to hatch!

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Tick erradication is about the only reason I've still got the last 3. ;)

They've done a commendable job around camp but once you step foot in the woods, where they don't go, it's horrible. We basically didn't have a winter here this year and I'm already seeing that we are going to pay for it, it so many different ways. :rant

We'll probably look into getting more of them once we can get their coop moved further back onto the property but I just can't justify spending more money on them until that point in time, here. If they were crossing the road to show the chickens it could be done, they've failed miserably. :gig

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Dawn419 said:
If they were crossing the road to show the chickens it could be done, they've failed miserably. :gig
:yuckyuck

We were at the hillbilly auction and wow! The price of those things just keeps going up! $22.00 + each for them. So I was very happy to see the eggs for sale. And the more people that find out that I have eggs in the incubator the more I have people wanting them! I think I will sell 1/2 of these as day old chicks. That will pay for the eggs and feed for the rest for a while. And still leave me plenty to have some for breeding and some extra males to turn loose.

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I hope I'm not jinxing myself but.... I've been very lucky with mine! They free range with the chickens in a 1 1/2 acre fenced yard. They do get out sometimes but come home to roost with the chickens. Sometimes they get "stuck" on the other side of the fence and don't realize if they flew over it one way, they can fly back! Yep, dumb birds! When that happens I have to go rescue them. A couple of months ago 3 French males started showing up and starting hanging out with my girls (I have 5 pied hens) all day long. I found out they come from a house about a 1/4 mile away and they seem to stay behind the houses.... so far so good! They have taken one of my girls on an "overnight" a couple of times, but she shows up with them the next day. So.... I should be able to get some fertile eggs without having to add to my flock! ;)