SCORE!!! Pressure canner at yard sale $15- No area pressure checks???

dipence71

Got the t-shirt
Reaction score
Well noone in my are does the pressure checking on pressure caners...BOOOO

Any ideas???

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I thought all the aggie extension offices would? I suppose you could try calling the state agricultural office and see if anyone there has any ideas?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
None here, either. NH offered to do it if I shipped it. I haven't, but would really wrap it up in lots of bubble wrap....LOTS....and ship it if I got one from a tag sale. I'd also replace all rubber parts.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
freemotion said:
None here, either. NH offered to do it if I shipped it. I haven't, but would really wrap it up in lots of bubble wrap....LOTS....and ship it if I got one from a tag sale. I'd also replace all rubber parts.
Does it have a dial guage? If so, ship it with the top upside down so that the gauge is facing into the pot.

Otherwise, I think pressure cookers are pretty sturdy.

Does it have a gasket? Is it pliable, or hard and cracked?

Even if you have to ship it for testing and pay for a new gasket, you're still way ahead.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't know where Scott county is, but if you are near Indiana or another state, you might try their extension office. When I had mine checked, the lady was sooo excited. I don't think she was asked to do it often, and it really made her day to be able to check the gauges.

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Maybe look for FFA or 4-H in your area.. They are the ones who I believe check stuff like that here. Well the 4-H any way. We dont have FFA in our county.. The 4-H here even has canning classes for adults to learn how to can.. Its worth a try.. Do a google search for both clubs in your area..

Latest posts