Scored some free onions!

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
A neighbor called last night and asked if I wanted some onions. She gave me two bags of 'em! She said that she'd be passing me some canteloupes, too as she's got a ton of them setting on.

Cool thing is that I'm going to have an overload of potatoes (she didn't plant any), and I have summer and zucchini squash that she loves, but also didn't plant.

I also should have extra eggs again soon and she offered me free straw for some! Now if I can talk her into milking her goats....

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Henrietta23 said:
Love it!! Whatcha gonna do with 'em? Store them, preserve them somehow? :cool:
I don't have a root cellar or basement = no cool space to just dry and store 'em. So I trimmed, cleaned and washed, bagged them whole in a few freezer bags and into the freezer they went.

When I'm ready to use them, I just cut them up carefully while they're still frozen. Sometimes I let them sit for a minute or two on the cutting board while I'm getting other things going in the kitchen. Then they slice and chop up fairly easily to go in the pot. I use them for cooking only, bet they'd be pretty soggy in a salad.

I just finished working on them. There was easily over 100 onions, tangerine size and smaller. I got tired of working with them, but hey, I'm smiling!

I think our new neighbor and I are going to have a great relationship! Love it! She's not really into the SS thing, but there's potential. :D

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I bet after they are frozen, they won't make you cry when you dice them. That is a great idea!

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
I just put a bunch of extra red onions up into a red onion marmalade because I don't have good luck with storing them either. My kitchen smelled like Heaven!!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Do you know how to milk? Ask her if she'd teach you.....and don't say why. Just that you would love to learn. If she says yes, learn fast (read up first and practice on a rubber glove filled with water, tied up at the cuff, and a pin hole in a finger) and don't take up her time visiting. Milk and get out of there. Give her a small gift after each lesson to keep the pump primed.

She'll soon learn that you can be trusted and when it is going smoothly, offer to milk when she can't be there or if she gets sick. She'll be calling you and I'd faint if she didn't offer the milk for you to keep. I'd sure do it for a good neighbor and the chance to go away now and then or just to know that in an emergency I can call on someone who is well-trained, trustworthy, and knows my goats and my goats are comfortable with them.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Do you know how to milk? Ask her if she'd teach you.....and don't say why. Just that you would love to learn. If she says yes, learn fast (read up first and practice on a rubber glove filled with water, tied up at the cuff, and a pin hole in a finger) and don't take up her time visiting. Milk and get out of there. Give her a small gift after each lesson to keep the pump primed.

She'll soon learn that you can be trusted and when it is going smoothly, offer to milk when she can't be there or if she gets sick. She'll be calling you and I'd faint if she didn't offer the milk for you to keep. I'd sure do it for a good neighbor and the chance to go away now and then or just to know that in an emergency I can call on someone who is well-trained, trustworthy, and knows my goats and my goats are comfortable with them.
No, I've never milked. She hasn't either. This is their first experience with goats, so they're learning a lot right now.
Her DH said if I'd milk them, I could have the milk, but I have chronic carpal tunnel and some days I'm pretty limited to what I can do if I did too much the previous day. I'd hate to commit and then not follow through, ya know?

Red onion marmalade? Oh no kidding!!! I never have heard of that before.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
So yummy! I'll post the recipe tomorrow when I have a minute. All I could think of yesterday was fried ham and butter on homemade bisquits with onion marmalade...