SEARCHING FOR SCOBY

navajo001

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hello all!

Would any of you kind souls out there happen to have a Kambucha SCOBY you'd be willing to part with?

I will, of course, pay for shipping and would be more than happy to give something in return if there is anything I have that you'd want.

Funny story right quick...

Went to a flea market with my son last weekend and as we were looking around at all the "junk" we noticed that we saw just about everything that we already own there in the various stalls for a few dollars apiece. Everything from the cookware we use to the furniture and old 32" TV and clothes. My son turned to me and said, "Gee, Dad, I guess all we have is junk too"! :lol:

I love that little guy! (All he wanted to buy that day was a long sword and a stuffed squirel... No, I didn't give in!)

Anyway, the moral to this little story is i have a bunch of junk so be careful if you say you want to trade me. :gig

Thank you,

Tom

navajo001

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
OK, so does anyone know where I can buy a scoby?

Does it ship well in the cooler months?

Thanks,

Tom

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
navajo001 said:
Hello all!

Would any of you kind souls out there happen to have a Kambucha SCOBY you'd be willing to part with?

I will, of course, pay for shipping and would be more than happy to give something in return if there is anything I have that you'd want.

Funny story right quick...

Went to a flea market with my son last weekend and as we were looking around at all the "junk" we noticed that we saw just about everything that we already own there in the various stalls for a few dollars apiece. Everything from the cookware we use to the furniture and old 32" TV and clothes. My son turned to me and said, "Gee, Dad, I guess all we have is junk too"! :lol:

I love that little guy! (All he wanted to buy that day was a long sword and a stuffed squirel... No, I didn't give in!)

Anyway, the moral to this little story is i have a bunch of junk so be careful if you say you want to trade me. :gig

Thank you,

Tom
Sorry, I can't help with the scoby, but your tale about your son reminded me of a family story ...

My grandmother and her twin boys were shopping somewhere when the boys were about 12 (about 1929), and my uncle found, and coveted, a stuffed hawk. My grandmother said that *your father won't approve*, but my uncle got it anyway (with his own money? I don't know, but I imagine so). Their father did not approve :lol:, but, as it was already there, he made the best of it. That hawk was a fixture of my youth (I grew up in my grandparents' house), and is still in it's place, more than 80 years later - rather moth eaten and sad looking, but still there :rolleyes:.
And, by the way, it is not "junk", it is "eclectic" :lol: That is my decorating style as well ;)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I have many many scobies, and I have a lady here in Canada that wants one. I have no idea on how to ship it. Seriously....any ideas?????? the way I got it was in a vacuum packed bag, but I dont have a vacuum sealer, and I am not going to run out tot the store to buy one just to ship a scoby.

If I do figure it out, I still don't know how it would do going across the border. Hopefully you can find an american scoby.

navajo001

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ORChick said:
Sorry, I can't help with the scoby, but your tale about your son reminded me of a family story ...

My grandmother and her twin boys were shopping somewhere when the boys were about 12 (about 1929), and my uncle found, and coveted, a stuffed hawk. My grandmother said that *your father won't approve*, but my uncle got it anyway (with his own money? I don't know, but I imagine so). Their father did not approve :lol:, but, as it was already there, he made the best of it. That hawk was a fixture of my youth (I grew up in my grandparents' house), and is still in it's place, more than 80 years later - rather moth eaten and sad looking, but still there :rolleyes:.
And, by the way, it is not "junk", it is "eclectic" :lol: That is my decorating style as well ;)
:lol:

Mine is Early Colonial Ecclectic! How about yours?

:gig

navajo001

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
I have many many scobies, and I have a lady here in Canada that wants one. I have no idea on how to ship it. Seriously....any ideas?????? the way I got it was in a vacuum packed bag, but I dont have a vacuum sealer, and I am not going to run out tot the store to buy one just to ship a scoby.

If I do figure it out, I still don't know how it would do going across the border. Hopefully you can find an american scoby.
Well, how selfish of you not to want to run out and spend a couple hundred dollars for a sealer to give stuff to people for free! :gig

I have no idea about shipping liquids across the border these days.

Thanks for the offer though and good luck figuring out how to get it packaged. I DID read today about someone (BBH maybe) double ziplock bagged then into a sealed plastic jar then wrapped to ship. Just something to think about I guess.

Thank you.

Tom

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:

I have had goo results with this method.
Place scoby and 1/2 cup of kombucha in a widemouth pint jar, and then lay plastic wrap over the top.
Then tightly screw on a proper metal lid.
The wrap will keep the metal from coming in contact with the scoby and turning it black.
Never use the plastic lids, as they leak.

Triple freezer bags can be used, but they always leak, and the USPS will not be happy about that.

ETA
I would volunteer a scoby, but mine have been on rest too much this winter.

navajo001

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
I have had goo results with this method.
Place scoby and 1/2 cup of kombucha in a widemouth pint jar, and then lay plastic wrap over the top.
Then tightly screw on a proper metal lid.
The wrap will keep the metal from coming in contact with the scoby and turning it black.
Never use the plastic lids, as they leak.

Triple freezer bags can be used, but they always leak, and the USPS will not be happy about that.

ETA
I would volunteer a scoby, but mine have been on rest too much this winter.
No worries BBrooks. I'll find some somewhere eventually. In the meantime, I'll keep buying the commercial stuff and cutting it with fruit juice. My son and I REALLY like it now!

Take care,

Tom

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
You can grow one yourself.
Buy a bottle of plain kombucha, and find a glass gallon jar.
If you cannot find an empty one, buy a gallon size jar of pickles.
Transfer the pickels to something else in the fridge.
Clean jar super well.
Pour the kombuch in the jar, cover it with a lightweight towel, or a coffee filter secured with a rubber band.
Set it on top of your fridge or on a closet shelf, and forget about it for a month or so.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I tried that once and I couldnt get it to work. :/

Navajo, I'll send you one. :) I have to do it next week sometime though...after the weekend. It will give me an excuse to liven my scobys up. (Yes, I have more than one. :p)