SEARCHING FOR SCOBY

navajo001

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
I tried that once and I couldnt get it to work. :/

Navajo, I'll send you one. :) I have to do it next week sometime though...after the weekend. It will give me an excuse to liven my scobys up. (Yes, I have more than one. :p)
Yes, I had read thet you and Dace tried this and it didn't work.

I would LOVE to have one of yours if you wouldn't mind. And no real rush. Whenever you get to it would be fine. I am trying to learn patience (as ordered by Freemotion! HA!).

Just let me know how much you want and I'll get a money order or Cashier's check so you don't have to worry about a check bouncing ;).

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Tom

BTW, just how many do you have going?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Three I think...maybe four. :p One is my kombucha "apple" cider vinegar, one is my tea and one was an experiment using no scoby, just my leftover kombucha and fresh tea and sugar added. It did form a scoby eventually...just couldn't get the store bought to form/grow one.

Ok, just pay for the postage, no bigs. PM me your addy and I'll send you a heads up when I send it and how much the postage was. :)

navajo001

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Three I think...maybe four. :p One is my kombucha "apple" cider vinegar, one is my tea and one was an experiment using no scoby, just my leftover kombucha and fresh tea and sugar added. It did form a scoby eventually...just couldn't get the store bought to form/grow one.

Ok, just pay for the postage, no bigs. PM me your addy and I'll send you a heads up when I send it and how much the postage was. :)
WOW! More stuff to learn about! I LOVE it!

I'll send you a PM in just a bit with my address and email. I really do appreciate it!

As for the kefir, I have been reading up about it, but I really don't like the taste of buttermilk so not sure if it is something I would use. What do YOU use it for?

Thanks again!

Tom

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Kefir smoothies are the bomb!
Frozen bananas, berries, cin., egg yolk and kefir. Honey to taste.

There are times we have had 8 scobys going at once :lol:
http://seedsofnutrition.com/?page_id=5716 This is my mothers post on making the stuff.
My dad drinks large amounts, as its what keeps his UC at bay, and has helped prolong the need for a liver transplant.

navajo001

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
Kefir smoothies are the bomb!
Frozen bananas, berries, cin., egg yolk and kefir. Honey to taste.

There are times we have had 8 scobys going at once :lol:
http://seedsofnutrition.com/?page_id=5716 This is my mothers post on making the stuff.
My dad drinks large amounts, as its what keeps his UC at bay, and has helped prolong the need for a liver transplant.
Well, now that does sound yummy.

OK BBH, I'll try anything once! So, if you want to throw some kefir grains in the package, I'll be more than willing to give it a whirl.

I went to Evilmart today and bought a 2 gal glass cracker jar today (ON SALE! WOOHOO!) so am ready.

One uick question, I know the recipe calls for black tea. Is lipton considered a black tea? We drink a lot of it so have a case of the teabags already.
Thanks again!

okiegirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
A bunch of us here at SSF had a christmas gift trade ..oh... what was it.... not this last christmas but the one before... anyway, doesn't matter. ANYWAY, I got a scoby as my gift. I wanted one so bad because everyone was talking about how great kumbacha was. Well, I got myt scoby, made the tea, let it sit 2 or 3 weeks but was just too scared to drink it. :idunno It sat in my cupboard... oh, about 6 months... I finally just threw it away. (sorry guys :hide ) it ended up growing on on top and one inside. I just couldn't do it.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
okiegirl said:
A bunch of us here at SSF had a christmas gift trade ..oh... what was it.... not this last christmas but the one before... anyway, doesn't matter. ANYWAY, I got a scoby as my gift. I wanted one so bad because everyone was talking about how great kumbacha was. Well, I got myt scoby, made the tea, let it sit 2 or 3 weeks but was just too scared to drink it. :idunno It sat in my cupboard... oh, about 6 months... I finally just threw it away. (sorry guys :hide ) it ended up growing on on top and one inside. I just couldn't do it.
Oh my...you have no idea what you missed out on :drool

navajo001

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
okiegirl said:
:lol:

I get the same reaction when I talk to one of my friends about it. She won't even eat yogurt because it is "alive".

Did you have bad dreams about the BLOB coming down the hall to get you?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Someone here mentioned reading about one that grew huge in the septic system, so don't flush it! :lol: Give it to chickens or put in your compost.

Ok, I'll throw in a grain. (I got your address by the way.)