Seed catalogs keep rollin' in

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I bet I have 2 dozen so far. I only requested less than half of those. I suppose the share mailing lists.

Anywho, I've been busy comparing prices and quantities. Most of them sell by the packet (25 seeds m/l). Johnny's is real good about offering bulk amounts. I ordered alot from them last year and was very pleased with the results.

The heirlooms are very interesting - hard to believe that tomatoes can be pear or pepper shaped in every color from purple to white.

I did get one beautiful catalog that is coffee table-worthy. It's from Baker's Creek Heirloom Seed. I think I'm gonna order just to keep getting that one.

Oh, and Burpee has developed a Seedless Tomato. A seedless tomato, can you believe that? They are 10 seeds for $5.00. Very pricey, but I ordered 2 packs. My aunt has Diverticulities (sp) and can't tolerate swallowing seeds. Plus, 4 of the plants have already been spoken for.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea I have tons of them also.
a few catalogs they sure put money into them...very fancy.
I don't buy much from catalogs anymore.
most seeds I have from last year but my bulk corn and such I get local. need lot of it for the fields.

anything extra I pick up at the local hardware store.....bulk turnip seeds etc. are so cheap I can't go wrong there.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I requested three catalogs last year at this time and this year I've received 3 times that so far! I'm still pouring through them dreaming of next year's garden and cursing my lack of sunlight. I did find a cool book at the library yesterday that, among other things, suggests making your own self-watering planters. If I can plant more on our deck, keep the chickens away and use that southern exposure I'll be able to grow a lot more. The book is Fresh food from small spaces : the square-inch gardener's guide to year-round growing, fermenting, and sprouting / R.J. Ruppenthal.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Since I bought most of my seeds local I do not get any seed catalogs. A few days ago while reading post someone had a lot of links listed to different companies. Now I don't remember who or where that was :he
I have been going back through some post but can't find it. Anyone know who or which tread that was?

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score

OrpingtonManor

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks Wanda,

The list of links is really useful. I never seem to want to grow what is available locally. (It is the city after all.) Plus, I have a massive deer issue. The deer-proof plants are hard to find.

I need to build some cold frames for winter veggies...

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I got my heritage seed catalog from Baker Creek, but I already ordered my seeds for spring back in October :p So I'm set.

Might pick up a few more seeds or order a bit more, depends on how big the garden is this year....

As nice as it has been lately though, I bet I could get DH to turn the soil up some on a thawed out day....hmm wonder if it would be a good idea .....thinking it would because I could be spending the winter months working the compost into the ground on non-frozen days....

UGH now I wanna go outside and DIG!

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I think to get a hundred catalogs, all you need to do is order something garden related from any of the larger on-line places. I ordered domething from Gurney's last season for the first time and something from Garden's Alvie- now the seed catalogs are flowing in. Fun to read through but if I don't watch it, I can spend much too much. Seeds aren't as cheap as they used to be.
Stupid stupid dwarf Pomagranate that would have to be in a pot and might, just might have some fruit - only for $19.95. I want it but do I need another usless novelty plant- nooooooooooooooo