Seed catalogs my sins of the past

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Over the years of gardening, I've ordered seeds from lots of different seed companies. Tomato Growers being only one of many. It's got to be at least 10 years since I ordered anything from tomato growers. But here it is December 9th and the new 2020 seed catalog arrives in my mail box. 67 pages of expensive wax coated color pages, that's is a pita to burn. If this winter is anything like last winter, I'll receive close to a hundred seed catalogs. And multiple lbs of hard to burn wax coated color pages to try and burn.

How does one get redemption from all these sins of the past and put a stop to all these seed catalogs that I won't even look at, to stop showing up in the mail box? I mean seriously, it's easier to accept Jesus as Lord and Christ, than it is to stop seed catalogs.

The first of many yet to arrive :(
IMG_20191209_200731854.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sorry I lied... I found the 2020 bakers creek catalog on my table next to my lazy boy. Yep my wife put it there for me, so it must have came Saturday :(... 147 pages of full color glossy wax coated pages to try and burn.

IMG_20191209_202748049.jpg

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
When I taught 4 & 5 year olds in Sunday school in church, I took my old catalogs to class and let the kids cut them up. We pasted pictures to construction paper while talking about the good food were thankful for, the pretty flowers that God made, the kids loved it. The pictures also make great Christmas tree ornaments.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Nice idea, Bay! I agree, seed catalogs can be more abundant than the promises they contain. But, I relish the opportunity to look through them. Thankfully, I don't get more than a dozen. I think it's b/c I've only actually ordered from less than 6 companies.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
you can ask to get off their mailing lists. yes it does work. as soon as i order from someone i always request that they not send me catalogs or pass on my information to others. i don't get any seed catalogs at all.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I haven't gotten any seed catalogs yet :hit
I always look forward to having a stack of them to thumb through during the cold, snowy days of winter. And my community transfer station happily takes them in the recyclable bins.
I remember cutting apart magazines and making collages of all the bright, colorful photos during the winter months.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My Daddy once gave some fruit trees to my grandpa for Christmas. They were dormant so Daddy cut pictures of all kinds of fruit and hung on the trees. Everyone got a good laugh out of that.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That reminds me of when I made a money tree for DH's Grandma's 90th birthday. She lived with her daughter so there wasn't anything she needed for a gift, but she liked to buy lottery tickets and play the nickle slots so we decided to give her money for a gift. Instead of just putting it in a card, I took a tree branch and "planted" it in an ice cream bucket covered with wrapping paper and filled with enough weight to hold the tree branch upright. Then I had DH get the money in a variety of bills and I folded them all up into leaves and tied them onto the branches. She had so much fun "picking money" and she never knew how much she had until she unfolded it, lol. She kept that money tree on here dresser until she had picked all the money off it.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Seed catalogs all sell/rent your info to each other. When you order from one, you have to specify "do not sell or rent". If you order online, call the next day to take care of it with customer service. When you tell a seed company to remove you from the mailing list, ALSO at the same time you must specify "do not sell or rent" or they'll stop mailing but keep renting your info to other seed catalogs.

I've only gotten one errant seed catalog yet this year (so far?). I do appreciate getting them from the select few companies I've requested them from.

This works for all junk mail, catalogs and magazines, but seed companies are especially bad about sharing mailing lists! I don't get much junk mail. Used to be an excessive amount. I've been working on it for a couple years. Takes 8 - 12 months of persistent effort for significant improvement in junk mail volume.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Seed catalogs all sell/rent your info to each other. When you order from one, you have to specify "do not sell or rent". If you order online, call the next day to take care of it with customer service. When you tell a seed company to remove you from the mailing list, ALSO at the same time you must specify "do not sell or rent" or they'll stop mailing but keep renting your info to other seed catalogs.

I've only gotten one errant seed catalog yet this year (so far?). I do appreciate getting them from the select few companies I've requested them from.

This works for all junk mail, catalogs and magazines, but seed companies are especially bad about sharing mailing lists! I don't get much junk mail. Used to be an excessive amount. I've been working on it for a couple years. Takes 8 - 12 months of persistent effort for significant improvement in junk mail volume.

a large number of seed, plant, bulb companies are owned by the same larger corporations so that is why it seems to explode in catalogs unless you get after them right away to not send your information on to others. i've always done that because i really don't want a printed catalog in almost all cases.

Latest posts