Seed catalogs my sins of the past

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
for those who are interested. :) worms seem to find the inks tasty. i've had some pieces of shredded catalogs on the surface of the worm bins and you can sometimes see the spots where they have sucked the ink off the page. maybe it is salty or sweet or something to them, but i've found that pretty interesting. :)

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Has anyone ever found the head water where seed catalogs start flowing? I need to put a stop to this madness got two more in the mail today :(

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Has anyone ever found the head water where seed catalogs start flowing? I need to put a stop to this madness got two more in the mail today :(

go to each website and send them an e-mail with whatever identifying information is on the label (usually there is an acct # or something which may look a lot like the same number from a lot of them which is a good hint they're all sourced the same way). anyways, send them a note stating your preference as they do have to pay both printing and postage charges for sending them so you are doing them a favor by letting them know that you don't want them any more. plus it is that much less paper having to be harvested or recycled, less water pollution, etc.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What about taking them to the local library to give away?

I live in woods in southern Illinois, we don't have a local library. I suppose I could cut my PII of the back page and take them to the doctors office. Then sneakingly put them on the table in the waiting room.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
go to each website and send them an e-mail with whatever identifying information is on the label (usually there is an acct # or something which may look a lot like the same number from a lot of them which is a good hint they're all sourced the same way). anyways, send them a note stating your preference as they do have to pay both printing and postage charges for sending them so you are doing them a favor by letting them know that you don't want them any more. plus it is that much less paper having to be harvested or recycled, less water pollution, etc.

Is there an app for that? I was thinking about it earlier today and wouldn't it be cool if an app existed to cancel subscriptions or subscribe to all the seed companies in the US & Canada. There are only two catalogs I will really look at, Henry Field's and Victory seeds. I've had nothing but excellent success with seeds from both of these companies in the past.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
At the risk of fanning the flames, you really should look at Fedco Seeds, if you have not already. You can do so on line. Excellent quality, good prices, Lots of heritage/non-hybrid. They support OSSI initiative, and actually tell you what type of supplier provides each packet of seed that they sell. Will not knowingly purchase any GMO seed.

IMO, Fedco most ideally matches my ethics when it comes to all things farming and gardening.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i was gifted some OSSI seeds last year and i could not grow them because of their conditions. the reason is that if i did grow them i cannot control which crosses will come about nor can i possibly know which beans i grow are now crossed with their seeds and thus now OSSI.

from their FAQ:

The OSSI Pledge reads: “You have the freedom to use these OSSI-Pledged seeds in any way you choose. In return, you pledge not to restrict others’ use of these seeds or their derivatives by patents or other means, and to include this pledge with any transfer of these seeds or their derivatives.”

Note: i grow and develop my own seed lines and have done so for many years so i have a lot of time invested in them - i also grow for other people so i can't risk cross licensing issues of any kind other than completely free and unencumbered exchange (no matter what the bees decide to do).

it has always been my policy to give away freely anything i can because i love beans and like sharing them, but i place no conditions upon my gifts at all other than the hopes that they'll be shared with others too.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
And here I thought after a week of not receiving any seed catalogs we might be done finally. Nope... All new look for 2020 but it's still 2019 for a few days yet.

Sigh...
IMG_20191230_185313027.jpg

Latest posts