Seed catalogs or websites

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'd like to hear members' recommendations on seed companies, either purchased thru catalogs or on-line. I've always bought at a nursery & then transplanted, but you're so limited to what varieties they happen to have in stock. This year I grew my lettuce (3 kinds) from seeds & they turned out great (just bought at a local discount store!!), so now I'm getting enthused about doing more. Any companies you strongly recommend, any to stay away from?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If you are looking for heirloom seeds there are many of us who shop with Baker Creek.. They have a beautiful catalogue every year with an amazing selection. You can also shop on line.

g

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I LOVE Baker Creek.

They have an interesting variety of heirloom seeds. They have an online and print catalog. Also their customer service communication is excellent.

They goofed on my order this year and when I discovered it (they gave me black plum tomatoes labeled as black cherry tomatoes) they sent replacements seeds and a nice apology.

I am growing collective farm woman melons, ground cherries, chinese noodle beans, bok pak choy, and Charentais Melons from Baker Creek this year.

The only thing I am having trouble with is the noodle beans, but it isn't a Baker Creek problem...it is an every critter in my yard thinks the plants are tasty problem.

www.rareseeds.com

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Awesome, sounds like Baker Creek is the clear choice...gonna check them out right now. Thanks, ya'll!! :D

"collective farm woman melons, ground cherries, chinese noodle beans, bok pak choy, and Charentais Melons"...Wifezilla, you scare me...I don't know what those things even are!!:p

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I order from Fedco Seeds. I figure if the plants are hardy enough for Maine winters, they will work here. I've always had good luck with them, and their catalog is a lot of fun to read - lots of little stories, etc.
http://www.fedcoseeds.com/

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
southern seed exchange

Catalog isn't as pretty as Baker Creek but it has everything that does well in our neck of the woods.....

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I bought some seeds from Baker Creek this year. They happen to have a store in my neck of the woods.
I got GMO free sweet heirloom corn from them. so far it is looking great. I also bought some cucumbers and they are doing well too.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I guess I'll look into all of those...you can't have too many seed catalogs lying around, can you?? :lol:

This is a follow-on question, but maybe it should be a separate post - how long can you keep seeds in a packet? Say it comes with 20 seeds, but I only use 1/2 of them...will they keep til next year? My lettuce seeds all say "packed for 2010" & "use by 12/10". Will they "go bad" by next year, & if so, is there a way to keep them, say in the fridge?

Latest posts