seed exchange, seed saving, and plant breeding

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Big_White said:
WBF. I noticed a couple of people started threads askin for seed. But i was kinda lookin for more of a free for all i guess, where everyone posts what they have to trade and others can offer different seed or somethin else in return. And i just recently purchased a book by Carol Deppe " Breed Your Own Vegetable Varieties", It is very descript and detailed, and written towards the amatuer/novice point of view. And i also have decided to do away with buying my seed, :D haha, in hopes of growing my own. And sorry its been awhile, workin 3rds is hard to get used to, but im happy to have a job right now.

And gd thanks for the advice on the rarer flowers, I have thought of selling some of my mothers flowers and trying to cross a few myself. But have not gotten to it yet, she has some beautiful calla lilies, they are the tallest i have ever seen, they grow to nearly 8 foot tall, around here most everyone elses is maybe 2 foot tall. yes I got my hot hands on one strain of those Giant Callas, I didn't try to cross them because there was only the one strain So no cross made sense except to cross them with the small ones to get different colors, likewise I quit on the Roses when I got the black spot resistance into a few bushes that I really liked.~gd

SSdreamin, as to the rarer seeds i thought the same thing, that all anyone would want is stuff that is really hard to find or harvest, so why bother. Then when i looked into it i found out that every person that saves seeds and picks what they themselves want then each set of seed is different. An example i can best think of is kentucky wonder pole beans, I have seen brown, white and even speckled beans of that name, and some pods grow very short others very long, all depending on the wants of the saver. So in reality anything you have to offer, could be of value to someone else even if its a common variety. At least from what i have read and heard, right now i am looking for a local exchange to take part in.

Haha, I wish i had your problem with all the squash and pumpkin seed Dawn 14, I have a lot of clemson okra and rattlsnake pole beans tho, they are my first succesful save from last year. More than i could tend to even if i wanted to.

Around here most people do the factory farm style planting, with huge acreage of corn or soybean, even wheat now and then. And none of it would be true to type if saved and would all be gmo. So i am hopin to get a few people around here interested in savin seed and see where it goes from there.

moderncountry40

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
backyardchickens has a thread called seed train. On there you can claim seed that someone else posts and in return you post seed you don't need for someone else to claim. I have done it a few times on there and it is fun. It is a good way to get a variety of seeds that you need and get rid of some you have too much of.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'd be willing to host a SS members seed swap if anyone is interested. :hu

The way things are going for me, personally, I'll be planting a larger fall garden than a spring one since March was so dang hot here and I didn't bother replanting peas,broccoli and other cool season crops that the critters got.

Big_White

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I would for sure be interested, that is one reason i started the post. Just to see what others would think of it. Hope there are a few others.

moderncountry40

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
It would be cool to have a seed swapping place on here too! I would definitely participate! I get on the one on backyardchickens all the time.

moderncountry40

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I think any kind would be great! Sometimes on backyardchickens we do a SASE or just send them free to swap. Another seed swapping site is thriftyfun.com. You can register free and swap seeds and plants or coupons. I get on there alot too. I would like to see seed swapping on here soon! Can't wait!:weee

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I'd say a free for all would be good to do.