seed quality?

tommywalnuts

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The other day at Orshelens I bought a number of garden seed packets ranging in price from $1.20-1.99. Today they have another display from another company with garden seeds 5 for a dollar. I was wondering is there a difference in quality? Will the cheaper brand not sprout as much? Any help would be much appreciated.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
TW - That is a hard question. The 5 for a dollar could have been last years seeds. I have bought the cheap seed like that and they came up fine in most cases. I have a packets that did not do well but I blamed it on myself.

I would think check the seed packet dates. I planted watermelon seeds last year out of some 5 for a dollar packets and they grew just fine. Amazingly that is the first time ever that we have been able to grow watermelons. Most of the wildflowers came up also. There was one herb packet that did not do anything.

Usually those 5 for a dollar packets are seeds that most people don't buy a lot of and they are just trying to get them out the door.

I guess the best thing to do is if you want to spend the dollar give them a try. Or just buy a few packs and try them. At 20 cents a pack it might be worth trying.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I buy them, but we don't need that many plants of certain things....I am always weighing the cost of a seed packet against the cost of buying the plants. Zucchini....I buy plants, only need two, cheaper than a packet of seeds. But I would definitely buy a $.20 packet and take a chance on it at that price!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have good and bad luck with cheaper priced seed packs. Some grew like crazy, some didn't......the reason? I don't have a clue actually.

I save my own seeds mostly now but field plant and buy bulk seeds from a local store and they do very well.

All seed packs should have expire dates on them. If they are current, then go for it!

tommywalnuts

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Cool...I think I will pick some up tomorrow. Another question....thinking of using the styrofoam trays meat comes in to start in. I was wondering if they were deep enough for lettuce, cabbage, and mustard starts.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
It depends on how deep the trays are.

If they are 2" deep, then they should work. You need something deep enough that will allow them to establish a good root.

They may need to be transplanted to individual cell containers when they get their first true set of leaves. If you leave them together for too long, you will have a tangled mess of roots.

I have used stryofoam carry out containers with good success. I have also used plastic containers that fruit salads come in. They have their own lid and make great humidity domes.

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
punkin said:
I have used stryofoam carry out containers with good success. I have also used plastic containers that fruit salads come in. They have their own lid and make great humidity domes.
That is a GREAT idea! I hate throwing them away because they are usually pretty nice plastic, but I definitely don't need any more plastic containers in my cabinet. They fall out on me every time I open the door as it is! That would be a fun thing to do with kids to get them into gardening. They could put the container in their window & watch them sprout.

Latest posts