Seed sales are booming

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I noticed that the veggie seeds are disappearing fast at my local stores. I guess it isn't just my imagination...

"SHERWOOD: So the two facts are first that one industry that is flourishing right now is the vegetable seed industry. Sales are up double digits and flower seed sales are down, and the reason is that in this recession people are realizing that you can't eat flowers and that to me is a sign of the kind of adaptability and hard thinking that people are having to do that is literally grow their own food. And there are actually seed companies, the world's largest seed company right now has a money package that's out there where they offer you $10 worth of seeds that can grow $685 worth of food for yourself."
http://www.glennbeck.com/content/articles/article/196/22345/

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That is great--- I was just talking about this exact subject with one of my co-workers. Maybe more people will have potted tomatoes instead of potted ferns!!!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
"National seed sales are up 20 percent so far this year, according to Time Magazine. Even though most of the plants in the ground are still dormant, the economy has people looking to save money on groceries by planting and growing their own fruits and vegetables in their own back yards.

"The demand for seed has increased quite a bit this year," said Aaron Brown, Eagle Rock Nursery. "Usually this time of year there is hardly anyone buying seed but this year it's been pretty steady."

Seeds are becoming a hot commodity at local nurseries. They are expecting their seed walls to be bare by this summer.

"I think people are just uneasy about the economy so they are storing more seeds than they have in the past," said Christina Gutke, Sunnyside Gardens. "They are learning you can save seed for a number of years depending on what the seed is."

Growing your own fruits and veggies has more benefits than just saving money.

"Not only does it save you money, but it tastes better and it's healthier for you," said Brown. "You know what's gone into your vegetables."

"I just find it is so soothing to me emotionally to go and just carve out a bed and weed it and it's perfect," said Margaret Meacham, Idaho Falls gardener. "And I have a feeling that there is one little corner of the world that's perfect."

"What else is perfect is this part of the nation for growing and understanding how to grow little seeds into food.

"I think it picks up on this side of the state because it is kind of a farming community," said Gutke. "We see farming and this kind of stuff going on around us and so we know where food comes from."

Planting season for veggies grown in the ground will begin next month, so it's not too late to grow a garden of your own.

Seeds are very inexpensive. A pack holds hundred of seeds and costs about $1.50."
http://www.localnews8.com/Global/story.asp?S=9948938&nav=menu554_1_1

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Well, it depends upon what you are growing. Sometimes you only get 20 seeds for over $2.00! :/

None of that surprises me. What surprised me is that on my second seed order (the one I made after I thought I had bought everything I wanted to grow) I tried to buy some flower seeds and they were all out of most of the ones I wanted!

Latest posts